Nouvelles de NewPort - Histoire

Nouvelles de NewPort - Histoire



Nouvelles du NouveauPort


Histoires-Entreprises.com

Adresse:
4101 Avenue de Washington
Nouvelles de Newport, Virginie 23607
ETATS-UNIS.

Téléphone : (757) 380-2000
Sans frais : 800-753-8790
Télécopieur : (757) 380-4713
http://www.nns.com

Statistiques:

Entreprise publique
Incorporation : 1886 sous le nom de Chesapeake Dry Dock & Construction Co.
Employés : 17 300
Ventes : 1,86 milliard de dollars (1999)
Bourses : New York
Symbole boursier : NNS
NAIC : 336611 Construction et réparation de navires

Perspectives de l'entreprise :

Newport News Shipbuilding est l'une des dix premières entreprises de défense et le premier constructeur naval des États-Unis. Nous concevons, construisons et entretenons les navires les plus sophistiqués au monde - des porte-avions et des sous-marins à propulsion nucléaire. Nos objectifs pour l'avenir sont simples : renforcer et développer notre position de leader dans nos activités principales de défense, gérer efficacement l'insertion technologique et l'intégration de systèmes, devenir le gestionnaire du cycle de vie de nos produits et offrir une valeur et des performances supérieures à nos actionnaires et les clients.

Dates clés:

1886 : Newport News est fondée par Collis P. Huntington.
1893 : L'entreprise remporte son premier contrat avec l'US Navy.
1951 : Le nouveau président, William Blewett, Jr., dirige l'entreprise vers l'énergie nucléaire.
1968 : Tenneco Inc. acquiert Newport News.
1982 : Newport News remporte un contrat de 3,1 milliards de dollars avec la marine américaine.
1994 : L'entreprise réintègre le marché commercial.
1996 : Le spin-off de Tenneco est terminé.
1999 : La poursuite du travail commercial est abandonnée.

Newport News Shipbuilding Inc. est le plus grand chantier naval non gouvernemental des États-Unis et le seul aux États-Unis capable de construire et d'entretenir une gamme complète de navires à propulsion nucléaire et conventionnels pour la défense et le service commercial. Premier employeur de Virginie, l'entreprise s'est développée à l'échelle nationale, construisant, au cours de ses plus de 100 ans d'histoire, plus de 700 navires, dont beaucoup ont pris part aux grands événements historiques de l'histoire américaine du XXe siècle, depuis l'époque de La Grande Flotte Blanche du président Theodore Roosevelt aux batailles de la Seconde Guerre mondiale et à l'ère nucléaire.

Newport News Shipbuilding a été fondée en 1886 sur l'un des sites d'expédition les plus favorables des États-Unis. Le chantier doit son existence à Collis P. Huntington, l'un des partenaires commerciaux qui a fondé le Central Pacific Railroad et l'a conduit vers l'est à travers les Sierras pour former la première ligne ferroviaire transcontinentale du pays. Après ses succès en Californie, Huntington est retourné dans l'est et a joué un rôle déterminant dans la construction du chemin de fer Chesapeake & Ohio de Richmond à la ville qui porte son nom en Virginie-Occidentale. Puis il s'est tourné vers le développement de Newport News en tant que terminus oriental du transporteur. Il a été président de la Old Dominion Land Co., qui a aménagé des lots pour commencer le développement de la ville. Des installations de charbon et de céréales sont construites et Huntington cherche alors à y fonder une cale sèche.

Commentant l'emplacement du chantier, Huntington a noté plus tard que « c'était mon intention initiale de démarrer une usine de chantier naval dans le meilleur emplacement au monde, et j'ai réussi dans mon objectif. C'est juste aux portes de la mer. Il n'y a jamais de glace en hiver, et il ne fait jamais si froid, mais vous pouvez marteler le métal à l'extérieur.

La cale sèche a été ouverte le 29 avril 1889 et la presse maritime l'a saluée comme la « merveille de l'époque ». Le premier chantier de construction navale était un projet de reconstruction, mais le contrat pour la coque n° 1, le remorqueur Dorothy, fut signé en 1890. Après de nombreuses années de service, ce remorqueur finira par retourner au chantier en 1974 et sera consacré comme une exposition permanente à 1976.

Selon l'histoire officielle, Newport News Shipbuilding: The First Century de William Tazewell, Huntington a protesté auprès du secrétaire à la Marine en 1890 contre la concurrence du Norfolk Navy Yard, signe avant-coureur de nombreux différends entre le gouvernement et la construction navale privée à l'avenir. Les premières offres réussies de Newport pour la construction de navires de guerre, trois canonnières, ont suivi en 1893. La marine était satisfaite du travail et le chantier a obtenu plus de contrats pour la construction de cuirassés. À cette époque, le chantier naval effectuait également un travail commercial considérable, notamment la construction de cargos, de navires à passagers, de bateaux à vapeur de baie et fluviale et de remorqueurs. En 1899, les contrats pour de nouveaux navires dépassaient 10,5 millions de dollars et 4 500 hommes étaient employés au chantier. Dry Dock No. 2 a ouvert ses portes en 1901, la première de plusieurs expansions qui se sont poursuivies dans les années 1990.

Newport News était une ville de compagnie à tous égards, et Huntington a personnellement subi des pertes financières au début. On disait que Huntington était l'un des plus grands, sinon le plus grand propriétaire foncier du pays, et dirigeait ses vastes intérêts depuis son bureau de New York jusqu'à sa mort en 1900. La propriété de la société Newport News a ensuite été transférée au fils de Collis, Archer Milton Huntington. , un érudit, poète et philanthrope avec peu d'intérêt pour le chantier naval.

Ainsi, après la mort de Huntington, l'homme qui a le plus contribué à guider le chantier naval était Homer L. Ferguson, un ancien officier de marine et étudiant en architecture navale et en génie maritime, qui est venu à bord du chantier en 1905 et a été nommé surintendant adjoint de la construction de la coque. . Ferguson deviendra président de la société en 1915, siégeant à ce titre jusqu'en 1946, date à laquelle il est nommé président du conseil d'administration. Au cours de son mandat chez Newport News, il a dirigé avec succès l'entreprise pendant une longue période qui comprenait deux guerres et la Grande Dépression.

En 1907, le président Roosevelt a envoyé la Grande Flotte Blanche dans un voyage autour du monde pour démontrer la puissance maritime américaine. Sept des 16 cuirassés de la flotte avaient été construits à Newport News. Le chantier naval devait également bientôt démontrer son adaptabilité lorsque les navires à gros canons sont devenus la norme pour la guerre navale, la société a construit six de ces navires « dreadnought », dont la plupart ont servi jusqu'à la Seconde Guerre mondiale. L'adaptabilité du chantier a été fréquemment reconnue au cours des dernières années. Elle a construit ses cinq premiers sous-marins en 1905, et en 1934, la Marine s'est tournée vers le chantier naval pour le premier porte-avions conçu pour un tel service. La plupart des constructions, cependant, ont continué à être destinées à la marine marchande, parmi lesquelles des barges utilisées pour la construction du canal de Panama.

Il y avait des conditions de boom au chantier pendant la Première Guerre mondiale, lorsque la société a construit 25 destroyers et le dernier cuirassé lancé jusqu'à la Seconde Guerre mondiale. De plus, Newport News a reconditionné le paquebot Leviathan pour l'utiliser comme transport de troupes. Après l'achèvement des projets de guerre, il y a eu une période au cours de laquelle plus aucun travail naval et peu de contrats commerciaux étaient disponibles. L'entreprise a pris tout le travail qu'elle pouvait trouver et a divergé dans d'autres fabrications.

Les traités de désarmement des années 1920 ont entraîné la démolition d'un certain nombre de navires de guerre, mais les nuages ​​​​de guerre de la Seconde Guerre mondiale ont vu un renouveau de la construction navale. Selon un article du magazine Fortune de 1936, bien que 49 chantiers navals américains aient été fermés depuis 1920, Newport News est devenu plus fort grâce à « la gestion la plus compétente du secteur » sous Ferguson.

En plus de sa construction navale au cours de cette période, l'entreprise réparait des locomotives, construisait un aqueduc, un pont et un immeuble de bureaux, fabriquait des feux de circulation, des tours de transmission et 9 000 wagons de marchandises et produisait divers autres équipements. Le plus spectaculaire de tous les travaux non liés à la construction navale a peut-être été la fabrication des plus grandes turbines du monde pour le barrage de Dnieprostroi en Union soviétique. Après la Seconde Guerre mondiale, l'entreprise s'est lancée dans le domaine de l'énergie atomique en fabriquant des assemblages pour réacteurs nucléaires.

En 1940, Archer Huntington vendit le chantier naval à un syndicat d'assureurs. Les rumeurs d'une vente circulaient depuis des années, et une fois que l'entreprise était à nouveau florissante après la Grande Dépression, Archer considérait que le moment était venu pour une vente. La valeur comptable de l'usine et de la propriété a été déclarée à 17,79 millions de dollars et sa valeur de remplacement était d'environ 29 millions de dollars. Le groupe d'investisseurs aurait acheté Newport News pour 18 millions de dollars et la société est devenue publique, négociant des actions à la bourse de New York.

Également pendant cette période, la marine a commandé sept porte-avions et quatre croiseurs à Newport News, le début d'une série de commandes alors qu'une guerre mondiale semblait à nouveau imminente. Newport News a créé une filiale, North Carolina Shipbuilding Co. à Wilmington, en Caroline du Nord, pour aider à gérer l'écrasement des affaires en temps de guerre. Les navires construits là-bas comprenaient 126 cargos « Liberty » avant sa fermeture à la fin de la guerre. L'emploi à Newport News a atteint un sommet de 31 000 en 1943, dont plus de 50 000 dans la filiale de Wilmington.

Cependant, l'exultation ressentie par la direction et les employés à la fin de la guerre qu'ils ont contribué à gagner a été tempérée par l'incertitude de l'avenir. Dans les jours de soudure qui ont suivi, le chantier a effectué des conversions de navires et des travaux de réparation. Mais avec le développement des avions à réaction, les porte-avions existants étaient inadéquats et la marine a commencé à planifier des superporteurs. Après le déclenchement de la guerre de Corée, le chantier naval a obtenu un contrat pour le premier de plusieurs nouveaux supercarriers, le Forrestal.

Un jour mémorable dans l'histoire du chantier est survenu le 8 février 1950, lorsque l'assemblage de la quille pour les États-Unis, le plus grand navire à passagers jamais construit dans le pays, a été posé. Lancé à l'été 1951, c'était le navire à passagers le plus rapide au monde et le premier construit au chantier en dix ans. De plus, à l'automne 1950, le chantier a fabriqué les dernières turbines du barrage de Grand Coulee dans l'État de Washington.

En 1951, William E. Blewett, Jr., devint le huitième président du chantier naval. Dirigeant énergique, Blewett a décidé de recentrer l'entreprise sur le domaine de l'énergie nucléaire, une décision saluée plus de 30 ans plus tard par un autre président de l'entreprise, Edward J. Campbell, comme « de loin la plus importante des 45 dernières années ». En 1956, la division de l'énergie atomique de la société comptait plus de 200 employés et une nouvelle filiale, la Eastern Idaho Construction Co., a été formée pour installer une station d'essai de réacteur près d'Arco, dans l'Idaho. Des ingénieurs y ont travaillé avec le Bureau of Ships de la marine, à la planification de superporteurs à propulsion atomique. L'ère des superpétroliers était également arrivée, et le 7 août 1958, le plus gros pétrolier jamais construit aux États-Unis, le Sansinena, était lancé sur le chantier.

L'avènement de l'énergie nucléaire a apporté de nombreux changements à Newport News, avec de nouvelles sections consacrées à l'inspection de la qualité, à la santé physique, à la manutention contrôlée des matériaux et au blindage au plomb. Depuis ses débuts, le chantier naval avait un programme d'apprentissage actif, et maintenant il a ajouté des cours et des conférences sur la nouvelle science de la propulsion atomique.

En 1959, le chantier naval a lancé son premier sous-marin à propulsion nucléaire, le Shark, le premier sous-marin construit par Newport News depuis plus de 50 ans. L'Enterprise, le premier transporteur à propulsion nucléaire au monde, a été lancé le 24 septembre 1960. Le Robert E. Lee, baptisé le 18 décembre 1959, était le premier des 14 sous-marins de classe Polaris construits sur le chantier. Une nouvelle filiale, Newport News Industrial Corp., a été créée pour entreprendre des travaux spécialisés sur les centrales nucléaires terrestres.

Les années 1960 ont apporté plusieurs défis à Newport News. L'Equal Employment Opportunity Commission a accusé en 1966 que l'entreprise faisait preuve de discrimination à l'encontre de ses employés afro-américains. Bien que l'entreprise ait nié l'accusation, elle a conclu un accord pour accélérer les promotions des Afro-Américains et a également commencé à embaucher un plus grand nombre de femmes pour des emplois auparavant réservés aux hommes.

L'ère de la propriété Tenneco commence en 1968

De plus, à l'automne 1967, Newport News faisait face à de graves problèmes financiers, alors que les géants de l'aérospatiale se lancent dans la construction navale, laissant Newport News dangereusement sous-capitalisé pour rivaliser. Le chantier a signalé une perte de près de 3,5 millions de dollars au premier semestre 1968, un facteur décisif dans les négociations de fusion que l'entreprise a commencé à poursuivre. En septembre 1968, Tenneco Inc., de Houston, Texas, a acquis Newport News pour environ 123 millions de dollars.

Au cours de la restructuration de Newport News, Tenneco s'est heurtée à une forte opposition des syndicats et de l'Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA). Finalement, les employés ont été représentés par le United Steelworkers Union. L'OSHA a imposé une amende de 766 190 $ au chantier naval, citant 617 cas de soins médicaux déficients, de conditions de travail dangereuses et de bruit excessif. Il s'agirait de la plus grosse amende que l'OSHA ait jamais infligée à une entreprise.

À la suite de tels problèmes, les analystes de Wall Street ont conseillé à Tenneco de vendre Newport News, avertissant que la division nécessiterait une modernisation et une réorganisation coûteuses. Mais les responsables de Tenneco ont reconnu le potentiel du chantier naval, en particulier après l'annonce des plans d'une marine de 600 navires en 1981. En effet, la marine dépendait du chantier pour toutes sortes de navires, il a été choisi comme chantier principal dans la conception de la classe d'attaque de Los Angeles. sous-marins, lancés le 6 avril 1974. De plus, la société a continué à réviser et à ravitailler régulièrement les sous-marins Polaris et en a converti plusieurs en systèmes de missiles Poséidon améliorés. La conversion et les réparations sont restées un aliment de base et les opérations de fabrication de l'entreprise étaient stables. En fait, le carnet de commandes de Newport News avait atteint 1,4 milliard de dollars à la fin de 1971, et l'emploi était passé à 27 500 en 1972.

Cependant, alors que les revenus ont augmenté d'année en année, les bénéfices n'ont pas suivi le rythme, la société étant confrontée à une compression des bénéfices due en grande partie aux coûts d'agrandissement de l'usine et de la main-d'œuvre. En effet, la construction de navires plus modernes, en particulier les navires à propulsion nucléaire, s'est avérée un processus nécessairement long, car les conceptions ont été modifiées en cours de construction et les travailleurs se sont souvent retrouvés inactifs pendant que leurs collègues achevaient d'autres aspects de la construction.

Un différend majeur entre le chantier naval et la marine américaine s'est également développé au sujet des coûts de construction des navires nucléaires. L'amiral Rickover de la marine a continuellement contesté les coûts, accusant Newport News d'être incapable de faire son travail correctement. Newport News, à son tour, a accusé la marine de ne pas être en mesure de financer correctement sa flotte. Ce différend a atteint son paroxysme en 1975, lorsque le chantier naval a temporairement interrompu les travaux sur un croiseur. Le chantier a menacé de se retirer de l'entreprise, mais ses réclamations contre la marine ont finalement été réglées à l'amiable lorsque le secrétaire adjoint à la Défense William P. Clements, Jr., réalisant que la situation était devenue incontrôlable, a cherché à négocier. Un règlement a été conclu, et la relation entre le constructeur naval et la marine a été réparée.

Pendant ce temps, la marine représentant 93 % des revenus d'exploitation de l'entreprise, Newport News a décidé d'attirer davantage d'entreprises commerciales. La société a construit le nouveau North Yard, où le transporteur de gaz naturel liquéfié El Paso Southern a été lancé en 1977, suivi d'autres superpétroliers. Alors que la société a enregistré des revenus records de 1975 à 1977, le marché commercial des pétroliers a considérablement diminué face à une crise pétrolière mondiale, et les revenus de Newport News ont finalement diminué de la même manière.

Pendant ce temps, un nouveau président de Newport News, Edward J. Campbell, a été nommé, et il a rapidement entrepris de redresser la société. Confronté à des bénéfices en baisse, à des installations désuètes, à des poursuites judiciaires en cours et même à une grève importante des concepteurs de navires et des travailleurs de la production, Campbell avait du pain sur la planche. Les poursuites et les grèves ont finalement été réglées et Campbell s'est concentré sur un programme d'amélioration des conditions dans les chantiers.

Ses efforts ont payé pour la première fois, les revenus de l'entreprise ont dépassé le milliard de dollars en 1981 et les bénéfices ont atteint 82 millions de dollars. En 1983, la société a enregistré des ventes et des revenus records pour la quatrième année consécutive, avec des bénéfices de 150 millions de dollars et un nombre d'emplois de 29 000. À la fin de 1982, la marine a attribué à Newport News un contrat de 3,1 milliards de dollars pour les cinquième et sixième porte-avions de classe Nimitz, apparemment le plus gros contrat jamais attribué à un constructeur naval, et garantissant des travaux jusque dans les années 1990. De plus, une méthode de construction modulaire améliorée a été développée, utilisant une technologie informatique qui a réduit les heures de travail et éliminé les erreurs. En fait, le rapport annuel de Tenneco pour 1984 indiquait que « l'amélioration des revenus au cours des cinq dernières années est le résultat direct de concepts d'ingénierie innovants dans la construction modulaire et de contrats incitatifs avec la marine américaine ».

Newport News a réintégré le marché des cargos commerciaux en octobre 1994 en signant un contrat de pétroliers de 150 millions de dollars avec Eletson Corp., une importante compagnie maritime grecque. Newport News a déclaré que le contrat était le premier contrat de construction commerciale d'un armateur international remporté par un chantier naval américain depuis 1957. "Après près de 40 ans à manger la poussière des chantiers coréens, japonais et ouest-allemands à bas prix, les constructeurs navals américains sont soudainement de retour sur les marchés mondiaux avec un bang », a noté un journaliste du magazine Forbes, ajoutant que « des changements de règles de travail, des techniques de construction modulaire considérablement améliorées et une attaque impitoyable sur les frais généraux ont aidé des constructeurs comme Newport News, longtemps dépendants des gros contrats de la marine pour leur vie , pour capitaliser . différentiels de salaire.

D'autres contrats de construction commerciale ont apporté tellement d'affaires que Newport News a abandonné une offre de construction de pétroliers pour un consortium canadien, invoquant des contraintes de temps et d'espace. Fin 1994, l'entreprise avait des travaux sous contrat jusqu'en 2002. De plus, une lettre d'intention entre Newport News et les Émirats arabes unis a été signée en décembre 1994 pour établir une nouvelle entreprise de construction et de réparation navale à Abu Dhabi. Le chantier naval devait être un investisseur en capital et gérer la Abu Dhabi Ship Building Co., qui construirait et réparerait des navires militaires et commerciaux. Pendant ce temps, W.R. (Pat) Phillips a été nommé président et chef de la direction du chantier naval et William P. Fricks a été promu vice-président exécutif et chef de l'exploitation.

Les travaux de la marine représentaient encore la majorité des activités du chantier en 1994, lorsque la société a remporté un contrat de 3 milliards de dollars pour construire le porte-avions de classe Nimitz Ronald Reagan. Le baptême du dernier navire de la classe Los Angeles Cheyenne a eu lieu en avril 1995. En raison des coupes dans le budget de la défense, cependant, le chantier naval est entré dans une lutte acharnée avec la division Electric Boat de General Dynamics Corporation, de Groton, Connecticut, pour le contrat pour concevoir et construire les nouveaux sous-marins d'attaque de la marine.

Tenneco a approuvé un projet de construction navale de classe mondiale de 68 millions de dollars en décembre 1994, visant à moderniser les installations de fabrication d'acier du chantier, une mesure qui, selon l'entreprise, réduirait considérablement les coûts de construction de futurs navires. Newport News a également lancé un projet de 29 millions de dollars pour étendre la plus grande cale sèche du chantier, permettant la construction simultanée de porte-avions et de grands navires commerciaux.

Néanmoins, le bénéfice d'exploitation pour 1994 était de 200 millions de dollars, comparativement à 225 millions de dollars en 1993, et les revenus ont également légèrement diminué, passant de 1,9 milliard de dollars à 1,8 milliard de dollars. Alors que le New York Times a rapporté que plusieurs analystes prédisaient que Tenneco se départirait de Newport News, le président-directeur général de Tenneco, Dana G. Mead, a maintenu que la société n'avait pas de tels plans. Dans son rapport annuel de 1994, les responsables de l'entreprise ont déclaré que le chantier naval continuerait à conclure des contrats supplémentaires avec la marine américaine dans son activité principale de construction de nouveaux navires, de ravitaillement et de révision, et d'ingénierie nucléaire. Cependant, ils ont déclaré que le chantier naval continuerait également à se diversifier par le biais de la construction navale commerciale et des ventes militaires à l'étranger, et en " augmentant les ventes d'expertise technologique ".

Après 46 ans de service chez Newport News, le président de la société William R. Phillips a pris sa retraite en octobre 1995, ce qui a ouvert la voie à la promotion de William P. Fricks. Fricks a pris le commandement à un moment charnière de l'histoire de Newport News. La décision de janvier 1994 de poursuivre des travaux commerciaux a représenté une transition difficile pour une entreprise qui dépendait exclusivement des contrats de la marine américaine. Fricks a hérité de la tâche ardue d'atteindre l'objectif déclaré de l'entreprise de réduire sa dépendance à l'égard du travail de la Marine à 60 % des revenus d'ici 2000. Son travail a été rendu encore plus difficile par la relation incertaine entre Newport News et sa société mère, Tenneco. Les spéculations concernant la cession de Newport News par Tenneco se sont poursuivies alors que la transition du leadership était en cours. En janvier 1996, les rumeurs se sont rapprochées des faits lorsque Tenneco a confirmé qu'elle pourrait se séparer de Newport News dans le cadre de son vaste programme de restructuration visant à se débarrasser d'activités non essentielles. Finalement, Tenneco a choisi de suivre une telle voie lorsqu'elle a annoncé sa fusion avec El Paso Energy Corp. En décembre 1996, les actionnaires de Tenneco ont approuvé la fusion et la scission des activités de pièces et d'emballage automobiles de Tenneco et de sa filiale Newport News en tant que sociétés distinctes. Une fois de plus, Newport News a fonctionné comme une société indépendante.

Alors que Newport News entrait dans une nouvelle ère, il a également rouvert un chapitre de son histoire antérieure dans le travail commercial. En septembre 1997, l'entreprise a baptisé l'American Progress, le premier navire commercial construit par Newport News depuis près de deux décennies et le premier pétrolier à double coque construit aux États-Unis selon les normes imposées par le US Pollution Act de 1990. Déclenché par la marée noire de l'Exxon Valdez en 1989, la loi stipulait que tous les navires transportant des produits pétroliers dans les eaux côtières américaines devaient être des navires à double coque d'ici 2015, ce qui a donné naissance au programme « Double Eagle » de Newport News. L'American Progress était le premier des neuf pétroliers qui devaient être construits par Newport News, mais l'incursion dans le secteur commercial a rapidement échoué. Le programme Double Eagle a souffert de coûts plus élevés que prévu et d'une demande anémique pour de nouveaux pétroliers à marge bénéficiaire plus élevée. En 1998, la société avait décidé d'arrêter de poursuivre des contrats de construction navale commerciale, une diversification ratée ponctuée par le sombre baptême en juin 1999 du pétrolier Brenton Reef, le dernier des six pétroliers que la société avait construits pour des clients commerciaux. « Quelqu'un m'a demandé », a fait remarquer Fricks dans une interview du 18 juin 1999 avec Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News, « Est-ce que vous le referiez ? » et j'ai dit 'Non'.

La sortie décourageante du programme Double Eagle n'était qu'un des événements difficiles auxquels Fricks a dû faire face en 1999. Newport News a été la cible de deux prises de contrôle hostiles en 1999, l'une de Litton Industries Inc. et l'autre de General Dynamics Corporation, toutes deux de que Fricks a réussi à repousser. L'entreprise a également dû résister à une grève de quatre mois de plus de 9 000 de ses travailleurs de l'acier qui a commencé en avril 1999, qui a coïncidé avec la perte d'une cible d'acquisition, Avondale Industries Inc., pour rivaliser avec son prétendant Litton Industries.

Malgré les revers qui ont entaché la seconde moitié des années 1990, Newport News est entré dans le 21e siècle avec optimisme, concentré sur ses principaux produits de défense, les porte-avions et les sous-marins. En 2000, la construction du porte-avions USS Ronald Reagan était presque terminée, la cérémonie de baptême étant prévue en mars 2001. Les espoirs étaient également nourris par le retour du chantier naval à la construction de sous-marins, à savoir quatre sous-marins de classe Virginia. La construction des deux premiers sous-marins, SSN 774 et SSN 775, était en cours alors que la société entrait dans le nouveau siècle. La construction des SSN 776 et SSN 777 devait commencer en 2001.

Filiales principales : Continental Maritime Industries, Inc. Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company.

Concurrents principaux : Litton Industries, Inc. Todd Shipyards Corporation General Dynamics Corporation.

Banks, Howard, « The New Newport News », Forbes, 7 août 2000, p. 122.
Cosco, Joseph, 'Down to the Sea in Ships', Journal of Business Strategy, novembre-décembre 1995, p. 48.
Dinsmore, Christopher, 'Tenneco Executive Confirms Chance of a Spin Off of Newport News Shipbuilding', Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News, 31 janvier 1996, p. 1310183.
Huber, Lisa, « Tenneco Nears Decision on Virginia Shipyard », Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News, 20 mars 1996, p. 3200244.
Jones, Kathryn, « Le plan de Tenneco peut récolter 1 milliard de dollars », New York Times, 14 décembre 1994, p. D4.
Krewatch, Mark, « Les travailleurs du chantier naval de Tenneco-Era Virginia regardent vers l'avenir avec espoir », Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News, 9 décembre 1996, p. 1209B0942.
Phalon, Richard, 'Back in the Game', Forbes, 5 décembre 1994, pp. 58--60.
Schmitt, Eric, « Two Submarine Makers Vie for a $60 Billion Project », New York Times, 17 mai 1995, p. A1.
Sheanm, Tom, 'Newport News, Va., Finishes Last Oil Tanker in Private Contract', Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News, 18 juin 1999, p. OKRB9916912E.
Shorrock, Tim, « Virginia Yard Homes in on Five-Ship Contract », Journal of Commerce, 17 mai 1995, p. B8.
Tazewell, William L., Newport News Shipbuilding : The First Century, Newport News, Virginie : The Mariner's Museum, 1986.
'Virginie. Yard Wins Federal Aid to Design LNG Tanker », Journal of Commerce, 2 juin 1995, p. B8.

Source : Répertoire international des histoires d'entreprises, Vol. 38. St. James Press, 2001.


États-Unis NOUVELLES DE NEWPORT

L'USS NEWPORT NEWS (CA-148), un croiseur lourd de classe Des Moines, a été mis en service le 29 JAN 1949. L'USS NEWPORT NEWS a servi son pays pendant 26 ans, 4 mois et 29 jours, jusqu'à sa mise hors service le 27 JUN 1975. NEWPORT NEWS a passé les dix-huit premières années à naviguer de la côte est sur des déploiements de routine et d'urgence. Elle a répondu à l'appel à projeter la force américaine en Méditerranée orientale et dans plusieurs cas dans les Caraïbes, y compris le blocus des missiles cubains. En septembre 1967, il s'embarqua pour le Pacifique et la guerre du Vietnam. NEWPORT NEWS s'est déployé trois fois au Vietnam, assurant la défense aérienne et le bombardement côtier de l'effort américain. L'USS NEWPORT NEWS a passé sa "tournée au crépuscule" à son port d'attache à Norfolk et a navigué vers l'Atlantique Nord, les Caraïbes, accueillant des événements diplomatiques et cérémoniels, une formation d'aspirant et une dernière croisière pour personnes à charge. NEWPORT NEWS a été mis hors service en juin 1975 et finalement mis au rebut au début des années 1990

L'historique du déploiement de l'USS NEWPORT NEWS (CA-148) et les événements importants de sa carrière militaire sont les suivants :


Fisherscreeknn.org

Fishers Creek a servi le comté de Warwick River (à l'origine du comté de Warwick) en tant que refuge de réparation de bateaux de travail datant du début du XVIIe siècle. Il était annoncé comme « l'un des nombreux petits cours d'eau qui pénètrent dans les terres et qui, à leur embouchure, offraient un mouillage sûr pour les yoles, les chaloupes et les petits sloops ». Les restes de quelques-uns de ces vieux bateaux en bois sont en train de disparaître des berges de la crique.

Warwick River Shire, créé en 1634, contenait Mulberry Island, Denbigh, Blunt Point et la région de Fishers Creek. Même si tôt dans le temps, cette région était un centre entièrement établi de commerce, d'agriculture, d'activité politique et religieuse. Pendant la période coloniale, certains des hommes les plus influents de la colonie ont habité ici avec leurs familles : le gouverneur Samuel Mathews, le colonel William Cole, le colonel Miles Cary, Sr., Thomas Harwood (de Harwood's Mill) et Cole Digges. George Wythe, le William & Mary professeur de droit et instructeur de Thomas Jefferson, a exercé sa profession à la cour de Warwick en 1748 quand il avait 22 ans, ]axon's Gaol, maintenant Jail Point à l'extrémité sud de l'île Mulberry, vraisemblablement servi pendant la période des XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles en tant que prison de travail. Les premières cartes montrent une petite île au large de l'extrémité sud de l'île Mulberry sur laquelle se trouvait la prison de ]axon. Cette île a depuis longtemps disparu.

Photographie aérienne du ruisseau Fishers

Plusieurs plantations ont été développées au début de la région, y compris la plantation Blunt Point, la maison du XVIIe siècle de William Roscow, commissaire du comté de Warwick. D'autres plantations comprenaient celles de Denbigh et de Lee Hall.

Le XVIIIe siècle fut une période de faible croissance pour Warwich River Shire. En 1739, la région connut une brève vague d'excitation avec la fièvre du « trésor des pirates ». Il a été rapporté qu'un trésor a été enterré sur Mulberry Island, peut-être par le célèbre pirate de Virginie Barbe Noire. Le lieutenant Marnard a tué le pirate le 22 novembre 1718. Par la suite, la tête de Barbe Noire a été exposée sur une pique sur ce qui est devenu connu sous le nom de Blackbeard's Point à Hampton. Ce trésor insaisissable de l'île Mulberry n'a jamais été retrouvé.

Au début du vingtième siècle, Warwick continua d'être un village indépendant, desservi jusqu'aux années 1940 par bateau fluvial et train. En fait, le service postal à destination de Warwick se faisait par bateau postal qui faisait ses arrêts réguliers à une installation postale à Deep Creek. L'école de Deep Creek, toujours située au 511 Deep Creek Road, servait les familles des deux côtés de Fishers Creek. Les élèves du côté sud du ruisseau ont dû sortir du chemin Blount Point jusqu'au chemin Warwick, puis retourner vers la rivière James sur le chemin Deek Creek jusqu'à l'école. Cette promenade prendrait plus d'une heure. Vers 1920, une famille de Blount Point a construit une passerelle sur Fishers Creek pour réduire le temps de marche pour se rendre à l'école à environ 20 minutes. Cette passerelle traversait de près de ce qui est maintenant la promenade Hillcrest du côté sud du ruisseau jusqu'à la zone près de ce qui est maintenant la promenade Graham du côté nord. Les pieux vestiges de la passerelle, vieux de soixante-dix ans, peuvent être vus en bateau sur la crique aujourd'hui.


Histoire de Hampton Roads : la fondation de Newport News

Bien que plusieurs sections du Newport News moderne aient été visitées lorsque les colons anglais sont arrivés pour la première fois en Virginie, Newport News n'est resté qu'un nom de lieu sur les cartes pendant plus de 250 ans. Pourtant, la guerre civile a attiré l'attention sur ce point de terre et 30 ans plus tard, la ville de Newport News est née.

QU'EST-CE QU'IL Y A DANS UN NOM?

Alors, d'où vient le nom inhabituel de Newport News ? Le centre-ville de la ville était étiqueté Point Hope sur la carte de Virginie du capitaine John Smith. Les premières références à "Newportes Newes", avec huit orthographes différentes, apparaissent dans le dossier de la Virginia Company de 1619, ce qui en fait l'un des plus anciens noms de lieux anglais du Nouveau Monde.

Il est clair que le nom était d'usage courant depuis le début de la colonie. Selon une version populaire, lorsque les colons ont abandonné Jamestown en 1610, ils ont mis fin à leur exode lorsqu'ils ont appris l'arrivée de Lord De La Warr avec plus de colons et de nourriture. C'est le capitaine Christopher Newport, selon l'histoire, qui a annoncé la nouvelle provoquant leur revirement et le salut de la colonie. Ainsi, l'endroit où cela s'est produit est connu sous le nom de «Newport's News», c'est ainsi que le nom était généralement imprimé jusqu'à la fondation officielle de la ville en 1896.

/> Capitaine Christopher Newport à Newport News Point, 2 mai 1607. Allan D. Jones Jr., artiste. Peinture murale à la bibliothèque de West Avenue. Avec l'aimable autorisation de la bibliothèque publique de Newport News.

Cependant, il existe des explications concurrentes, ou des étymologies populaires, pour les origines du nom. On tient qu'il a été appelé « New Port Newce » d'après le capitaine Thomas Newce et Sir William Newce, qui sont venus en Virginie de Newcetown (également appelé Port Newce), en Irlande, en 1620-1621. Selon Hugh Blair Grigsby, cette combinaison lie les noms de Newport et Newce.

Yet another theory comes from American writer Edward Everett Hale, author of the short story “The Man Without a Country,” first published in the Atlantic in December 1863. Hale suggested the name was a corruption of Newport Ness – “ness” being an Old English word for a headland or promontory.

Whatever the fabled or real truth may be, it seems impossible to say with absolute certainty just how Newport News got its name. But the most obvious reasoning would appear to credit the explorer, Captain Christopher Newport. He made five trips to Virginia when the colony was young, bringing, according to Captain John Smith, that most important cargo: news.

NEWPORT’S NEWS POINT
Union Battery at Newport News Point, view from Camp Butler along the James River. J. Kruse of First Regiment New York Volunteers, artist. Harper’s Weekly, February 15, 1862.

When the Civil War erupted, Newport’s News Point became a household name. On May 27, 1861, Major General Benjamin Franklin Butler built Camp Butler on the point where the James River empties into Hampton Roads. Camp Butler had a water battery and was reinforced by two Union warships, USS Congress et USS Cumberland.

Merrimac and Monitor Duel: First Battle of the Ironclads, Hampton Roads, 1862. Illustrated Postal Card Co., ca. 1906. The Mariners’ Museum MS0429-02-02-05.

On March 8, 1862, Newport News became a household name when the Confederate ironclad ram, CSS Virginia (Merrimack), sank both of these powerful warships in one afternoon, proving the power of iron over wood. At the war’s end, the Newport News POW camp was established next to Camp Butler, holding Confederate soldiers. Newport News was now a place of importance. Yet, it was soon forgotten as the entire region of eastern Virginia strived to rebuild after the war.

A CITY IS BORN.

As a young man, Collis Potter Huntington traveled throughout the north and southeast coast as a Yankee peddler. His travels brought him, as the story goes, to Hampton Roads. While there he visited Newport’s News Point about 1839 or 1841. He later reflected, there is:

“a point so designed and adapted by nature that it will require comparatively little at the hand of man to fit our purposes. The roadstead, well known to all maritime circles, is large enough to float the ocean commerce ….it is never troubled by ice and there is enough depth of water to float any ship that sails the seas and at the same time is so sheltered that vessels can lie there in perfect safety at all times of the year.”

Collis P. Huntington. Stephen W. Shaw, artist.

Huntington believed that there “could no better place for a city.” However, his fortunes blossomed when he was in California: he created the Central Pacific Railroad which became part of the Transcontinental Railroad, and the Southern Pacific Railroad. He then acquired the bankrupt Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad with the goal of connecting the Ohio River with the Atlantic Ocean.

Using the Old Dominion Land Company as a cover, Huntington began purchasing land at the tip of the Virginia Peninsula to bring his railroad to Newport News Point. He had other options like West Point or Yorktown yet Huntington liked to control everything. So, he chose Newport News.

On December 6, 1880, Huntington endeavored to change the town’s name to “Minnetta” in honor of his adopted daughter. But local opposition blocked this name change, making this rebuff Huntington’s only defeat on the Peninsula. By 1881, the C & O reached the mouth of the James River to the new port city. Huntington owned and created everything — port facilities, land that was sold as lots for house construction, the Hotel Warwick and Casino Grounds, water supply, and gas and electric companies — everything.

Hotel Warwick, 1917. Postcard. Courtesy of Newport News Public Library.

Huntington knew that inter-city transportation was a necessity. Accordingly, the C & O established a ferry service to Norfolk and Col. Carter M. Braxton, who worked for Huntington building the railroad, established the Newport News Street Railway Company which later expanded into Hampton and Newport News Electric Car Company. The city began to prosper as workers and businessmen began moving to Newport News to partake in this economic growth.

C & O Railroad pier, Newport News Shipbuilding, 1917. Postcard. Courtesy of Newport News Public Library.

THE CITY EXPANDS.

Collis Potter Huntington understood that a successful city required various major industries. His initial vision for Newport News included the railroad and the port. Nevertheless, as he did with other towns like Huntington, West Virginia, he needed yet another major industry for Newport News. The coal from his mines was placed in his trains and delivered to his docks but he did not control the colliers or have the ability to build or repair those ships.

So, in 1886, Huntington created the Chesapeake Dry Dock & Construction Company. Dry Dock #1 officially opened with the docking, at no charge to the US Navy, of the monitor Puritan. It was a grand affair. Huntington attended with two noted poets, Joaquin Miller and Walt Whitman, along with Governor Fitzhugh Lee of Virginia.

USS Puritan. the first US Navy vessel refitted at the Chesapeake Dry Dock and Construction Company. Ca. 1889. The Mariners’ Museum P001.008-01–PH3918_1.tif

Less than a year later, the yard was renamed Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company.

USS Kearsarge and Kentucky Ready for Launching, March 23, 1898, NNS and DD Co. The Mariners’ Museum P0001.014-01–PN1894C260.

By 1896, the yard received its first US Navy contract to build the USS Kentucky et Kearsarge. By the time of C.P. Huntington’s death in 1900, Newport News was becoming a household name. The city was truly a Huntington legacy with its schools, commercial areas, thriving major industries, and rising population.

NEWPORT NEWS SHIPBUILDING

Arabella Huntington became theowner of the shipyard, and the chairman of its board of directors was C.P. Huntington’s nephew, Henry Edwards “Eddie” Huntington. They later married but they left the business of the yard to various presidents like Walter Post.

When then- president Albert Hopkins went down with RMS Lusitania on May 7, 1915, Homer Lenoir Ferguson took the helm. Ferguson readied the yard for war with major improvements and expanded ship repair capabilities.

Albert Hopkins. The Mariners’ Museum.

When the United States declared war on Germany in April 1917, the yard was quickly expanding. The shipyard received over $100 million in contracts to build battleships, battle cruisers, destroyers and transports, as well as to repair more than 1,400 vessels. Workers worked round-the-clock. On July 4, 1918, known as Liberty Launching Day, Newport News Shipbuilding launched three destroyers: Thomas, Haraden, et Abbott. Les Daily Press proclaimed that “Each one was a death blow to Prussianism.” The yard’s employment increased from 7,600 workers to a peak of 12,512 in September 1919.

Liberty Launching Day, July 4, 1916. The Mariners’ Museum P0001.019-01-102-PS456.

Workers building ships or the nearby military camps flooded the community and the need for housing was acute. “People who never before thought of taking in any roomers or boarders could not resist the opportunity to make money quickly,” according to the 1919 Municipal Survey. Many boarding houses resorted to the device of “hot bedding” or room sharing. But the officials at the shipyard were finding it hard to attract and keep older, skilled workers, the ones who were needed most.

“Always Good Ships” – Homer Ferguson at plaque quoting C. P. Huntington, before 1918. Edward Hungerford, photographer. The Mariners’ Museum MS0003-001.1078-02496.jpg.

Shipyard president Homer Ferguson testified before the US Senate and was able to receive financing from the US Emergency Fleet Corporation, an agency of the War Shipping Board. This resulted in the construction of the Shipyard Apartments, across from the yard’s main gate.

Also, the unique Garden City Movement community of Hilton Village was built arising out of the piney woods of Warwick County. Houses appeared as English cottages with churches, schools, a business district, and access to the James River. When the war ended, construction of the village stopped. Consequently, Henry E. Huntington made sure that this community was finished in 1919. Huntington would eventually purchase this federally-funded village so that he could sell the houses to individual homeowners. He also made important improvements to the community such as building the Colony Inn and installing gas lines.

Hilton Village, 1918. The Mariners’ Museum MS0153󈝮.50-0491.

HAMPTON ROADS PORT OF EMBARKATION

Shortly after the United States declared war, Newport News was named Headquarters, Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation. The US Army took over the operation of the port from the C & O and began to establish embarkation camps and training areas in Newport News and Warwick County. Camps Stuart, Hill, and Alexander existed primarily to process troops going overseas. The town was teaming with troops as Thomas Wolfe later wrote in Look Homeward, Angel:

“Twice a week the troops went through. They stood densely in brown and weary thousands on the pier while a council of officers, tabled at the gangways, went through their clearance papers. Then, each below the sweating torture of his pack, they were filed from the hot furnace of the pier into the hotter prison of the ship. The great ships, with their motley jagged patches of deception, waited in the stream they slid in and out in unending squadrons.”

Camp Stuart was America’s largest troop clearinghouse and was located between the Small Boat Harbor and Salter’s Creek. It was America’s largest troop clearinghouse during the war with 115,000 soldiers. Camp Hill, positioned along the James River, processed 67,887 men overseas. It also served as the port’s animal embarkation area. The camp’s capacity was 10,000 animals with 900 men to manage the 33,704 horses and 24, 474 mules that were handled by this camp. Due to racial tensions, Camp Hill was divided to create Camp Alexander for Black labor battalions and stevedores.

Birds Eye View Camp Morrison, VA, March 19, 1919. Postcard. The Mariners’ Museum MS0647󈝭.01-02.

Up Warwick Road, near Hilton Village, was Camp Morrison it served as an Air Service Depot for the embarkation of balloons and aero squadrons. The final major military base established in Warwick County during World War I was Camp (later Fort) Eustis, built on Mulberry Island with a deep water harbor on Skiffes Creek. Eustis was named for the founder of Fort Monroe’s School of Artillery Practice Bvt. Brigadier General Abraham Eustis. This camp was used for an artillery range. It also became known as the “experimental shop of the Coast Artillery” as soldiers pioneered two new fields of artillery science: anti-aircraft and railway artillery.

The Army Air Service Balloon Observation School, also known as the Lee Hall Balloon School, was also created as part of Camp Eustis. In August alone, 46,130 soldiers were sent to France in 31 transports. A total of 261,820 soldiers were sent overseas from Newport News, while another 441,146 soldiers returned. It was an amazing effort.

“NEWPORT NEWS BLUES”

The citizens of Newport News opened their hearts and homes for all of these servicemen passing through the port. Numerous organizations were established or expanded to handle the influx of soldiers and seamen. In one month, the YMCA on 32nd Street provided 2,200 baths, slept 2,475 soldiers, and served 6,000 meals. Other organizations like the Salvation Army, Women’s Service League, Jewish Welfare Board, and American Library Association endeavored to attend to the servicemen’s needs. The Girl’s Patriotic League knitted socks, rolled bandages, and made masks, while Boy Scouts sold war bonds. Dances were held and concerts were given to provide patriotic enjoyment for the thousands passing through Newport News.

One soldier noted he had never seen such a town and such generous people. He ate very well: “That’s the fifth invitation today and I can’t hold another bit.” But not all was perfect. There was a downtown Newport News riot over merchants profiteering on November 11, 1918. Soldiers suffered greatly from the Spanish Flu, loneliness, and living away from their loved ones.

Two doughboys, Sgt. Hal Oliver and Crp. Willie Shifrin, wrote this popular little ditty, “Newport News Blues”:

Oh! Newport News Blues is the latest fad

Newport News will surely drive you mad,

You start into jazz–then raz-ma-taz-

Oh, way down south – in the land of cotton,

Your Uncle Sam has not forgotten,

You’re a-way-a-way far a-way from Broadway-

They sing and dance that haunting mel-o-dy-

Oh! When you’re down in Newport News

What do they want to play that dog-gone blues for?

The blues of Newport News … Oh! News.

A STEPPING STONE

In less than 60 years after the end of the Civil War, the city of Newport News was internationally known as a shipbuilding center with excellent port facilities. C. P. Huntington’s vision had proven to be more than correct. Huntington laid the groundwork with his railroad and port, both connecting Newport News with all of the United States and nations throughout the world. Newport News surely became a boom town during World War I which provided the platform from which it grew into the thriving city it is today.


The World in Motion, Fashion and Modernity 1885-1945

The Newport Historical Society is pleased to partner with the Audrain Automobile Museum to offer a joint exhibit focusing on the evolution of fashion from the height of the Gilded Age to the beginning of the modern era. The exhibit will be featured at the Newport Historical Society at 82 Touro Street, and the Audrain Museum at 222 Bellevue Avenue beginning May 29th.

This multi-site exhibit examines a previously unknown collection of clothing and accessories belonging to three Vanderbilt women of New York and Newport: Alice Gwynne Vanderbilt and her daughters Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney and Gladys Moore Vanderbilt Széchényi.


Newport News: History

Topics include Dining Scene, United States: For Foreign Visitors & more!

Although the modern history of Newport News , Virginia does not begin until the 17th century, the area where the city lies has been inhabited by native Indians for thousands of years.

The area where Newport News is found today was first settled by Europeans at the beginning of the 1600’s. A few decades later, the town officially became unincorporated and existed in an area known as Warwick county, as an independent entity. It remained as such for the following 250 years, and by the turn of the century had grown to a sizable population of nearly 20,000 people.

During the American Civil War of the 1860’s, a number of key events occurred in the city of Newport News , and evidence is still found around the historical societies in the city today.

For the following half century, Newport News continued to remain an independent town in the county of Warwick . Then, in 1958 both parties agreed to join as one, and became the third largest city in the State of Virginia .

A major industry in the city is shipbuilding, which was brought to prominence in the area by the Northrop Grumman Company. This has continually added jobs and revenue to the local economy.


Released: Monday, April 20, 2020

This soulful group with origins in Newport News has been performing for decades. Their showmanship and songwriting prowess is unmatched. We are proud to have held a variety of concerts featuring their incredible talents, including our 11th Anniversary Concert with Jean Carne.


New historical marker celebrates rediscovery of Newport News' lost past

NEWPORT NEWS — Like many other places in eastern Virginia at the end of the Civil War, most of the records documenting Warwick County's long, long past had been reduced to ashes.

What hadn't been looted by curious Union soldiers during the month-long 1862 Siege of Yorktown — when Federal tents covered the courthouse green — had been partly burned in a Dec. 15, 1864, fire that destroyed a wide swath of county court minute books and loose records dating from 1787 to 1819.

The remaining documents went up in smoke on April 3, 1865, when Confederate-set fires blazed out of control and consumed an irreplaceable repository of Virginia county records that had been moved to Richmond for safekeeping.

Described by the Library of Virginia as a "catastrophic loss," that giant vacant space in the county's past helps explain why the city of Newport News and the Warwick County Historical Society have taken such pains to erect a historical marker on the site of a long-forgotten 19th-century plantation.

Despite being stripped of its official paper trail, much of the 19th-century history of Oakville plantation — which was located off what is now Harpersville Road — has been rediscovered with the recent publication of previously unknown family papers.

And that unexpected window into the county's lost past has provided new information about the lives of the property's African-American slaves as well as its elite white owners.

"To my knowledge, this parallel does not exist with any other property in Warwick County," says Mary Kayaselcuk, Historic Site Coordinator for the city's Lee Hall Depot restoration project, who helped organize the dedication of an interpretive marker at 11:45 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 17.

"Those papers are giving us some pretty significant information about a time and place that had been forgotten."

New insights

Founded in the 1700s by two prominent early Warwick County families — the Marrows and the Garrows — Oakville grew to encompass some 2,000 acres and included portions of two other counties.

By the early 1800s, it was the home of eight whites, 18 enslaved blacks and one free African-American male, according to surviving census records.

Nine more slaves were recorded in 1850, and by 1860 owner William C. Marrow was operating a plantation that boasted $20,000 in personal property and $5,000 in real estate, including not only the land but also a manor house and 11 slave cabins.

Little more was known, however, until Christopher Newport University historian Sean M. Heuvel was approached by a friend who asked him to take a look at an unpublished family history and photo collection that had been compiled in the 1940s.

"It was probably 400 pages of material — and as soon as I started reading I knew that it was going to provide some pretty interesting insights into Warwick County's history," he says.

"To be honest, I was blown away by how much of it focused on this area. It was full of information that can't be found anywhere else."

Old stories

Compiled by Mary Marrow Stuart Smith, the history draws largely on stories from Smith's family, especially her mother, Josephine, who was raised on Oakville Plantation after the Civil War.

But it reaches all the way back into the 1700s and the Marrow and Garrow clans, who joined in marriage before plowing all their energy and wealth into building a homestead and acquiring the property that made William C. Marrow one of the leading figures in early-1800s Warwick County.

Most of the material is personal, made up of stories and descriptions of events and characters, including numerous vignettes featuring her maternal grandfather, Col. Joseph Phillips of Elizabeth City County, now Hampton, and her father, J.E.B. Stuart II, who was the son of the celebrated Confederate cavalry general.

But Smith also included a rare description of the manor house and surrounding grounds.

"The house was painted white to be distinguished at a great distance, and the lane leading to the house was one mile long, with a cedar tree and a holly tree alternating every few feet apart," her mother had recalled.

"There was an outside kitchen, a well, a smokehouse, a carriage house, a stable and barn and a backhouse, or 'garden house,' as it was called."

Family ties

Smith described a family cemetery and a schoolhouse, too, as well as her family's relations with the African-Americans who toiled as slaves on Oakville Plantation.

According to family lore, Col. Phillips had planned to free his blacks before his life was cut short in an 1863 battle.

And even after his wife returned with her children as a war widow after the conflict's end, they retained close ties to their former slaves, some of whom continued to live and work on Oakville's lands after the manor house burned in the 1880s.

"One of the most magical moments I can recall from my childhood is seeing 'Aunt Columbia' and 'Uncle Washington' sitting on an old handmade wooden cart…. They proceeded to stop in front of our home (in Newport News) and hop down off the cart to give us Christmas goodies (from Oakville), " Smith recalled.

"These two were the soul of goodness and we adored them."

Both Washington and Columbia Braxton were listed in the 1870 census as members of the Marrow and Phillips household.

Their great-grandson — Clarence L. Braxton Jr. — is scheduled to be among the white and black descendants attending the dedication of the historical marker.

"There just isn't that much known about 19 t h -century Warwick County — and especially about the African-Americans who lived there," Heuvel says.


NewPort News - History

The Newport News (SSN 750), a Los Angeles-class submarine, was the third ship of the U.S. Navy to be named for Newport News, Virginia. The contract to build her was awarded to Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company in Newport News, Virginia on April 19, 1982 and her keel was laid down on March 3, 1984. She was launched on March 15, 1986, sponsored by Mrs. Rosemary D. Trible, and commissioned on June 3, 1989, with Cmdr. Mark B. Keef in command.

October 3, 2002 USS Newport News departed Naval Station Nofolk for a scheduled deployment in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

January 6, 2003 SSN 750 moored outboard the USS Emory S. Land (AS 39) at Naval Support Activity La Maddalena in Sardinia, Italy, for a week-long Fleet Maintenance Availability (FMAV). Inport La Maddalena again from Feb. 11-15.

March 31, The Newport News pulled into Souda Bay, Crete, for a four-day port call to get tender support services from Emory S. Land.

April 23, USS Newport News returned to homeport after six-and-a-half month combat deployment. The sub launched 19 Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles (TLAMs) in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF).

October 25, 2004 USS Newport News departed Apra Harbor, Guam, after a routine port call.

February 15, 2005 USS Newport News returned to Norfolk Naval Station after a six-month deployment in the U.S 5th and 6th Fleet Areas of Responsibility (AoR).

March 4, Cmdr. Matthew A. Weingart relieved Cmdr. Frederick J. Capria as CO of the Newport News during a change-of-command ceremony at Naval Station Norfolk's Pier 3. Capria reported as Newport News&rsquo commanding officer in July 2002.

April 24, 2006 The nuclear-powered attack submarine is currently participating in a Composite Training Unit Exercise (COMPTUEX).

October 3, USS Newport News departed Norfolk for a scheduled deployment, with the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) Carrier Strike Group, in support of the Global War on Terrorism.

January 8, 2007 SSN 750 collided with the Japanese-flagged motor vessel Mogamigawa at approximately 10:15 p.m. (local time) in the Strait of Hormuz while the submarine was transiting submerged. No U.S. Sailors or merchant crew were injured. Overall damage to the sub is being evaluated. The propulsion plant was unaffected by this collision.

January 29, Rear Adm. Douglas J. McAneny, Commander, Combined Task Force 54 relieved of duty Cmdr. Matthew Weingart due to a "lack of confidence in his ability to command." Capt. Norman B. Moore assumed temporary command of the Newport News.

April 24, USS Newport News returned to Norfolk after six-and-a-half month deployment.

October 1, 2009 The Newport News pulled into Willemstad, Netherlands Antilles, for a five-day port visit to Curacao.

October 15, USS Newport News returned to Naval Station Norfolk after a six-month deployment. The submarine participated in the 50th UNITAS exercise with South American allies and visited ports of Panama City, Panama and San Diego.

April 20, 2010 Cmdr. J. Carl Hartsfield relieved Cmdr. David W. Alldridge as CO of SSN 750 during a change-of-command ceremony at Norfolk Naval Station.

April 26, USS Newport News arrived in Port Everglades, Fla., for a Fleet Week 2010.

December 17, The Newport News returned to Norrfolk after a Friends and Family Tiger Cruise.

January 6, 2011 The Los Angeles-class attack submarine departed homeport for local operations.

February 21, USS Newport News departed Naval Station Norfolk for a scheduled deployment in the U.S. 6th Fleet AoR.

August 18, SSN 750 pulled into Portsmouth, England, for a routine port call.

September 15, USS Newport News returned to homeport after traveled nearly 40,000 n.m. Port calls to Toulon, France Faslane, Scotland Haakonsvern, Norway and Lisbon, Portugal.

December ?, 2011 USS Newport News entered the Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, Va., for a 23-month Engineered Overhaul (EOH).

August 2, 2013 Cmdr. Christopher J. Tarsa relieved Cmdr. J. Carl Hartsfield as the 12th CO of Newport News.

August 29, The Newport News departed dry-dock and moored to pierside location at Norfolk Naval Shipyard Completed EOH on May 29, 2014.

July 29, The Los Angeles-class attack submarine departed Naval Station Norfolk for local operations.

August 15, Capt. Paul S. Snodgrass, Commander, Submarine Squadron (SUBRON) 6, relieved of duty Cmdr. Christopher Tarsa due to a "loss of confidence in his ability to command." Cmdr. Roger E. Meyer, deputy commander at SUBRON 6, assumed temporary command of the USS Newport News.

September ?, Cmdr. Patrick B. Clark relieved Cmdr. Roger E. Meyer as CO of the Newport News.

September 11, 2015 Vice Adm. Joseph E. Tofalo relieved Vice Adm. Michael J. Connor as Commander, Submarine Forces/Submarine Force Atlantic/Allied Submarine Command during a change-of-command ceremony on board the Newport News at Berth 2, Pier 12 on Naval Station Norfolk.

September 14, USS Newport News departed homeport for a routine training Brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk for personnel transfer on Sept. 18 Moored at Naval Weapons Station Yorktown, Va., from Sept. 25- Oct. 2 Brief stop at Norfolk on Oct. 9 Moored at Berth 6, Pier 3 on Oct. 13 Underway for local operations on Nov. 14 Brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk on Nov. 20 and Nov. 23 Moored at Berth 1, Pier 3 on Nov. 28 Underway again from Nov. 30- Dec. ? and Dec. 11-1?.

December 24, USS Newport News departed Norfolk for a scheduled deployment.

January 7, 2016 The Newport News moored at Haakonsvern Naval Base in Bergen, Norway, for a routine port call.

January 20, SSN 750 moored at Berth 50, South Mole on Her Majesty's Naval Base (HMNB) Gibraltar, British overseas teritory, for a 17-day port call to conduct emergent repairs.

February 28, USS Newport News moored at West Berth K14, NATO Fueling Depot in Souda Bay, Crete, for a brief stop while participating in Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) exercise Dynamic Manta 16, in the Ionian Sea, from Feb. 19 through March 4 Brief stop at Berth K14 again on March 6 Transited the Suez Canal, escorted by USS Gonzalez (DDG 66), on March 9.

May 21, The Newport News transited the Suez Canal northbound, escorted by USS Gravely (DDG 107) Moored at Berth K14 in Souda Bay from May 23-26 Brief stop off Norfolk to embark Nuclear Propulsion Examination Board (NPEB) personnel for Operational Reactor Safeguards Examination (ORSE) on June 8.

June 10, USS Newport News moored at Berth 1, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk following a five-and-a-half month deployment to the U.S. 5th and 6th Fleet AoR. The sub traveled 41,000 nautical miles and also made port call to Diego Garcia.

November 7, The Newport News moored at Berth 1, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk after a two-week underway for Prospective Commanding Officer (PCO) operations.

November 10, Cmdr. Michael C. Grubb relieved Cmdr. Patrick B. Clark as CO of the SSN 750 during a change-of-command ceremony on board the sub.

November 21, USS Newport News moored at Berth 5, Pier 3 after underway for routine training Underway in support of the USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) CSG's COMPTUEX, as part of opposition forces, on Nov. 28 Moored at Berth 1, Pier 3 on Dec. 22.

January 18, 2017 The Newport News departed Norfolk for routine operations Brief stop at Trident Wharf in Port Canaveral, Fla., on Jan. 31 Moored at Berth 5, Pier 3 in Naval Station Norfolk on Feb. 2 Underway again on March 21.

March 29, USS Newport News anchored at Naval Anchorage B in Chesapeake Bay, off Annapolis, Md., for a five-day visit to U.S. Naval Academy.

April 24, The Newport News moored at Trident Wharf in Port Canaveral for an overnight stop after a day-long underway for VIP Cruise Moored at Wharf D1 in Naval Station Mayport from April 27- May 2 and May 4-7.

June 2, The Newport News moored at Berth 5, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk Moved to Berth 2, Pier 3 on June 19 Underway again from Sept. 1-? and Oct. 25.

November 3, USS Newport News made a brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk for personnel transfer Moored at Berth 6, Pier 3 on Nov. 6.

January 21, 2018 The Newport News moored at Naval Weapons Station Yorktown, Va., for a week-long ammo onload Moored at Berth 1, Pier 3 on Feb. 2 Underway again on Feb. 5 Brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk for personnel transfer on Feb. 8 and Feb. 12 Moored at Berth 5, Pier 3 on Feb. 16.

March 8, USS Newport News departed Norfolk for a scheduled North Atlantic deployment.

April 3, The Newport News made a brief stop approximately 15 n.m. southwest of Haakonsvern Naval Base in Bergen, Norway.

April 17, USS Newport News moored at Valiant Jetty on Her Majesty's Naval Base (HMNB) Clyde in Faslane, Scotland, for the in-port phase of a multinational exercise Joint Warrior 18-1 Underway for at-sea phase on April 23 Moored at Valiant Jetty again from April 24-29.

June 15, SSN 750 moored at Valiant Jetty on HMNB Clyde in Faslane for a six-day port call Moored at HMNB Clyde again from July 27- Aug. 3 Transited the Straits of Moyle northbound, just after midnight, on Aug. 4 Transited the Strait of Gibraltar eastbound on Aug. ?.

August 30, The Newport News moored at Berth 50, South Mole in Her Majesty's Naval Base (HMNB) Gibraltar, British overseas teritory, for a four-day port call Brief stop off Norfolk to embark Nuclear Propulsion Examination Board (NPEB) personnel for Operational Reactor Safeguards Examination (ORSE) on Oct. 10.

October 13, USS Newport News moored at Berth 2, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk following a seven-month deployment.

November 20, The Newport News moored at Naval Weapons Station Yorktown for an 11-day ammo offload Moored at Berth 4, Pier 3 on Dec. 1.

April 11, 2019 USS Newport News moored at Berth 2, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk after a four-day underway for sea trials, following a four-month Selected Restricted Availability (SRA) Underway for PCO operations from April 16-19.

April 23, Cmdr. David W. Fassel relieved Cmdr. Michael C. Grubb as CO of the Newport News during a change-of-command ceremony on board the sub.

April 25, USS Newport News departed homeport for routine operations Moored at Trident Wharf in Port Canaveral, Fla., for a brief stop on May 23 Moored at Berth 2, Pier 3 in Naval Station Norfolk on May 2?.

June 12, The Newport News moored at Berth 5, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk after a five-day underway for routine training Underway again on June 14 Brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk for personnel transfer on June 17 Moored at Berth 2, Pier 3 on June 21 Underway again on Aug. 31.

September 23, The Los Angeles-class attack submarine made a brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk for personnel transfer Returned home on Sept. 25 Underway again on Oct. 4 Brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk on Oct. 15 Moored at Berth 4, Pier 3 on Oct. 22.

November 13, USS Newport News moored at Berth 5, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk after a five-day underway for routine operations Underway again on Dec. ? Brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk for personnel transfer on Dec. 5 Returned home on Dec. 9 Moved to Berth 6, Pier 12 on Dec. 13.

December 19, USS Newport News departed Norfolk for a scheduled Middle East deployment.

January 31, 2020 The Newport News made a brief stop off the coast of Djibouti, Djibouti, for personnel transfer.

From June 15-17, the Newport News participated in an anti-submarine warfare (ASW) exercise with the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) CSG, while underway in the North Arabian Sea.

July 18, USS Newport News moored at Berth 4, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk following a seven-month deployment. The sub traveled approximately 45,000 n.m. and also made port call to Diego Garcia.

August 31, The Newport News mored at Pier 10N in its new homeport of Naval Submarine Base New London in Groton, Connecticut.

October 15, USS Newport News entered the floating dry-dock Shippingport (ARDM 4) on Naval Submarine Base New London for a Drydocking Selected Restricted Availability (DSRA).

April 14, 2021 The Newport News undocked and moored pierside on Naval Submarine Base New London.


Voir la vidéo: DWTV Promo Lobster Bar Newport