Curtiss XP-11

Curtiss XP-11

Curtiss XP-11

Le Curtiss XP-11 était la désignation donnée à trois biplans Hawk qui devaient être propulsés par le moteur Curtiss Chieftain, mais la panne de ce moteur signifiait qu'aucun n'était achevé en tant que P-11.

Le Curtiss H-1640 Chieftain était un moteur à deux rangées de 12 cylindres refroidi par air qui était développé en même temps que le V-1570 Conqueror. Avant l'achèvement des P-11, il est devenu évident que le Chieftain n'était pas d'une conception satisfaisante et il a été décidé de les compléter avec d'autres moteurs.

Deux ont reçu des moteurs Conqueror et sont devenus des P-6D tandis que le troisième a reçu un moteur radial Wright Cyclone et est devenu le YP-20. Après quelques travaux supplémentaires, c'est devenu le prototype du P-6E.


Histoires-Entreprises.com

Adresse:
1200 Wall Street Ouest
Lyndhurst, New Jersey 07071
ETATS-UNIS.

Statistiques:

Entreprise publique
Incorporation : 1929
Employés : 2 300
Ventes : 293,26 millions de dollars (1999)
Bourses : New York
Symbole boursier : CW
NAIC : 333995 Fabrication de vérins hydrauliques et d'actionneurs 332811 Traitement thermique des métaux 332912 Fabrication de vannes hydrauliques et de raccords de tuyaux 331491 Laminage, étirage et extrusion de métaux non ferreux (sauf le cuivre et l'aluminium)

Perspectives de l'entreprise :

Curtiss-Wright a vraiment les « bonnes choses ». Formée à partir d'entreprises créées par les pionniers de l'aviation Glenn Curtiss et les frères Wright, la société opère à l'échelle mondiale sur les marchés de l'aérospatiale, de la marine et de l'industrie. Pour l'industrie aérospatiale, Curtiss-Wright effectue le traitement du métal des moteurs à réaction et fabrique des systèmes d'actionnement utilisés pour contrôler les volets d'aile. Elle fabrique également des vannes de haute technologie pour les systèmes de propulsion nucléaire de la marine américaine et effectue le grenaillage et le traitement thermique pour la durabilité et la mise en forme des métaux dans les industries de l'automobile, de la construction et des équipements agricoles. Les autres clients incluent Boeing et Lockheed Martin. La société holding d'assurance Unitrin détient 43 pour cent de l'entreprise.

Dates clés:

1929 : Curtiss Airplane and Motor Corporation fusionne avec Wright Aeronautical Corporation.
1945 : la Seconde Guerre mondiale fait grimper les ventes annuelles à plus d'un milliard de dollars.
1951 : Dirigée par Roy Hurley, CWC entame une campagne de diversification massive.
1960 : Le nouveau président Roland Berner ordonne la vente de plusieurs divisions.
1967 : CWC abandonne son activité sur les moteurs à réaction au profit des systèmes d'actionnement des volets et du traitement des métaux.
1972 : L'excitation suscitée par le moteur rotatif Wankel de la CWC propulse le stock vers le ciel.
1978 : CWC tente une prise de contrôle hostile du géant du cuivre Kennecott Corporation.
1981 : La trêve entre CWC et Kennecott laisse Teledyne avec 50 pour cent de contrôle sur CWC.
1993 : CWC tente de vendre trois des quatre divisions mais ne trouve aucun acheteur approprié.
1995 : CWC ouvre une filiale européenne Flight Systems et étend ses activités de révision.
1998 : De nouvelles acquisitions et des contrats à long terme sur les avions de ligne égayent les perspectives de CWC.

La Curtiss-Wright Corporation (CWC), fondée sur deux des noms les plus estimés de l'histoire de l'aviation américaine, est passée d'un constructeur aéronautique à un conglomérat hautement diversifié à une société d'ingénierie spécialisée. Grâce à son segment Motion Control, CWC ouvre littéralement des portes (et laisse tomber des volets) pour les constructeurs d'avions commerciaux et militaires. Metal Treatment renforce les ailes d'avion et Flow Control produit des vannes pour les sous-marins nucléaires et les centrales électriques. L'entreprise fabrique également un outil pour libérer les victimes d'accidents de l'épave d'automobile, et elle a réalisé un certain nombre d'acquisitions pour élargir ses marchés et acquérir des technologies connexes.

Curtiss-Wright Corporation (CWC) a été créée en 1929 en tant que société holding cotée en bourse pour diverses entreprises aéronautiques, lorsque Curtiss Airplane and Motor Corporation et Wright Aeronautical Corporation ont fusionné, réunissant 18 sociétés affiliées et 29 filiales. Les banquiers avaient essayé pendant des années de réunir les deux sociétés rivales, lancées par les pionniers et inventeurs de l'aviation Orville et Wilbur Wright et Glenn H. Curtiss, et la fusion a finalement mis fin à deux décennies de batailles de brevets entre les frères Wright et Curtiss. Saluée lors de sa formation par les financiers de Wall Street en tant que société aéronautique la plus prodigieuse au monde, la société a fait ses débuts avec un actif total de plus de 70 millions de dollars et des actions évaluées à 220 millions de dollars alors qu'elle entrait dans une bataille industrielle avec la United Aircraft and Transportation Company récemment créée.

Bien que ses homonymes aient peu à voir avec la création de la nouvelle entreprise, Glenn Curtiss a été membre du comité technique de l'entreprise avant sa mort en 1930, l'année du Curtiss Condor - une version civile d'un bombardier à deux moteurs avion - a été introduit par certaines compagnies aériennes. La Curtiss-Wright Corporation a maintenu une position de prééminence dans l'aéronautique tout au long des années 1930, bien que l'industrie de l'aviation soit restée relativement petite et que les ventes de l'entreprise n'aient atteint que 49 millions de dollars en 1939.

En 1940, la société a créé la Curtiss Propeller Division, un précurseur de la filiale Curtiss-Wright Flight Systems, Inc. Servant de source principale de travail gouvernemental après l'entrée des États-Unis dans la Seconde Guerre mondiale, la Curtiss Propeller Division est devenue l'une des plus grandes entrepreneurs de la défense dans le monde. Pendant la guerre, l'entreprise employait 180 000 travailleurs et produisait 146 000 hélices d'avion, 143 000 moteurs d'avion et plus de 26 000 avions, Curtiss-Wright devenant le deuxième constructeur aux États-Unis avec des ventes annuelles dépassant le milliard de dollars deux années consécutives. Les moteurs Curtiss-Wright ont propulsé la majorité des avions américains pilotés pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, y compris le B-29 qui a largué la première bombe atomique sur le Japon et précipité la fin du conflit mondial.

Après la guerre, Curtiss-Wright a été contraint de faire face à une baisse rapide des contrats militaires et d'énormes réductions opérationnelles ont été effectuées alors que la société commençait à convertir des moteurs d'avions militaires pour les utiliser dans des avions de ligne commerciaux. En 1949, Guy Vaughan, qui avait longtemps dirigé les opérations de l'entreprise, a été évincé dans un remaniement de la direction et remplacé par Roy T. Hurley, qui est devenu président et président. Hurley a apporté à Curtiss-Wright une réputation de coupeur de coûts de production, après avoir été vice-président de la production chez Bendix Aviation Corporation et directeur de la fabrication chez Ford Motor Company.

Avec l'implication des États-Unis dans la guerre de Corée au début des années 1950, la société a de nouveau bénéficié d'une nouvelle série de contrats gouvernementaux pour les moteurs d'avion. En conséquence, Curtiss-Wright est resté parmi les dix principaux entrepreneurs de défense américains au cours de la première moitié de la décennie, produisant des moteurs à réaction pour missiles guidés, des moteurs et des hélices d'avion et des simulateurs de vol pour l'armée.

Pendant ce temps, Hurley a lancé une campagne de diversification massive, commençant en 1951 lorsque Curtiss-Wright a acquis une usine à Buffalo, New York, où elle a lancé une entreprise spécialisée dans l'extrusion de métaux. La société a également acheté une autre usine à Carlstadt, New Jersey, pour servir de base à une nouvelle division électronique. Au milieu des années 1950, Curtiss-Wright fait son entrée sur le marché canadien avec la création de la filiale Curtiss-Wright of Canada Ltd. (rebaptisée plus tard Canadian Curtiss-Wright). La société a également créé une division de produits scientifiques et de recherche et a commencé la construction d'un centre de recherche et développement à Quehanna, en Pennsylvanie, où elle a établi un laboratoire de matériaux nucléaires pour soutenir les applications de défense et de temps de paix de l'énergie atomique.

À la fin de 1955, la campagne de diversification de Hurley avait contribué à propulser les ventes annuelles de Curtiss-Wright de 475 millions de dollars par an à plus de 500 millions de dollars, les ventes commerciales générant environ 40 % des revenus de l'entreprise. En 1956, Curtiss-Wright comptait 16 divisions et les actions de la société avaient atteint un sommet de 49 .

Curtiss-Wright a utilisé des acquisitions et des développements conjoints avec d'autres sociétés pour renforcer son activité de moteurs, en acquérant Propulsion Research Corporation et Turbomotor Associates. La société a commencé à développer des moteurs dans les catégories de puissance à faible et moyenne portée pour les avions, les hélicoptères et les missiles. Curtiss-Wright s'est également associé à Bristol Airplane Company pour développer une série de moteurs commerciaux. La production de moteurs militaires de la société a continué à se composer principalement du J-65, initialement sous licence de Grande-Bretagne, et son principal produit commercial était le moteur à pistons 3350 Turbo Compound, utilisé dans les avions de ligne commerciaux à hélices les plus rapides de l'époque.

En 1956, Curtiss-Wright a accepté de prêter 35 millions de dollars à Studebaker-Packard en difficulté financière et de fournir des services de gestion pour le constructeur automobile. En retour, Studebaker-Packard a vendu à Curtiss-Wright sa filiale, Aerophysics Development Corporation, et a loué l'entreprise d'aviation ses installations à Utica, Michigan, et South Bend, Indiana, où Curtiss-Wright a commencé à produire le nouveau missile antichar Dart de l'armée, qu'Aerophysics Development avait contribué à développer.

L'année suivante, Studebaker-Packard a reçu les droits de fabrication du moteur Daimler-Benz de l'allemand Mercedes-Benz en échange de l'autorisation du constructeur automobile allemand de produire un avion Curtiss-Wright. Après deux ans de gestion de Studebaker-Packard, Curtiss-Wright a mis fin à son contrat de gestion avec le constructeur automobile et a acquis les usines de South Bend et d'Utica qu'il louait ainsi que les droits de fabrication et de vente des moteurs diesel et multicarburants de Daimler-Benz, injection de carburant systèmes, véhicules militaires et autobus.

En 1957, environ les deux tiers des ventes de Curtiss-Wright provenaient de contrats gouvernementaux et environ les deux tiers de ses bénéfices provenaient de ventes non militaires. Cherchant à élargir ses activités commerciales et à éviter les contrats gouvernementaux, la société s'est concentrée sur le développement d'équipements à ultrasons, de nouveaux produits pour son activité d'extrusion Buffalo et de nouvelles utilisations de sa matière plastique, Curon, qui avait des applications comme doublure de vêtements, mur et revêtements de sol, insonorisation, tissus d'ameublement, garnitures automatiques et coussins.

En 1958, Curtiss-Wright a commencé à exploiter un réacteur de recherche nucléaire dans son installation de Quehanna. La société a également créé un laboratoire de recherche solaire en collaboration avec l'Université de New York, ce qui a abouti à un accord avec Hupp Corporation pour explorer, développer et vendre conjointement des dispositifs dans le domaine de l'énergie solaire, notamment des dispositifs de stockage de chaleur et de cuisson. En 1959, Curtiss-Wright a également commencé à produire des équipements d'inspection par rayons X industriels, qui ont été ajoutés aux gammes d'équipements de contrôle qualité, d'équipements d'inspection et de systèmes de mesure de l'entreprise utilisant les technologies ultrasonores, radiographiques et nucléaires. Pendant ce temps, Curtiss-Wright est entré dans le secteur du terrassement avec l'acquisition d'une division Continental Copper & Steel Industries qui fabriquait de tels équipements.

Les développements expérimentaux de Curtiss-Wright comprenaient un matériau de revêtement routier à base de charbon et une «voiture aérienne» pouvant voyager de six à 12 pouces au-dessus du sol, ainsi qu'un moteur à combustion interne léger avec seulement deux pièces mobiles principales. Le moteur rotatif, connu sous le nom de Wankel, a été conçu pour brûler de l'essence de manière à faire tourner un rotor de forme triangulaire, plutôt que de faire monter et descendre les pistons comme les moteurs à pistons conventionnels. Développé en collaboration avec NSU Werke d'Allemagne de l'Ouest, le moteur - pour lequel Curtiss-Wright a obtenu les droits mondiaux exclusifs pour l'utilisation des aéronefs et les droits nord-américains exclusifs pour toutes les applications - est issu d'une invention de la société allemande Felix Wankel.

Un Management Flap dans les années 60

Une série de réductions de la défense à la fin des années 1950 a nui aux activités de développement de statoréacteurs de Curtiss-Wright, et les bénéfices de l'entreprise ont commencé à baisser, passant de 25 millions de dollars en 1958 à 14,3 millions de dollars en 1959 alors que les ventes sont passées de 388 à 329 millions de dollars. En avril 1960, Hurley a été confronté à une foule hostile lors de la réunion annuelle de la société et a été critiqué pour la baisse des bénéfices, la réduction des dividendes, la rémunération élevée des dirigeants et l'insuffisance des informations concernant les développements expérimentaux de la société. Hurley a démissionné de ses fonctions de président et de président un mois plus tard et a été remplacé par l'un de ses critiques les plus virulents, T. Roland Berner. Avocat devenu directeur chez Curtiss-Wright après avoir mené une bataille par procuration contre la direction presque réussie en 1948, Berner avait joué un rôle déterminant dans le remaniement de 1949 qui avait initialement porté Hurley au pouvoir.

Berner a rapidement cédé Curtiss-Wright de plusieurs divisions. La société a fait don de son réacteur nucléaire à l'Université d'État de Pennsylvanie et a vendu ses installations de South Bend et d'Utica, son entreprise de plastique Curon, ses installations de recherche sur la côte ouest et son procédé de production de matériaux de pavage à partir de charbon. En outre, l'usine de la société à Lawrence, dans le New Jersey, qui fabriquait des ultrasons ainsi que des équipements de contrôle et de test de la qualité, a été fermée, les plans de production commerciale de l'avion ont été abandonnés et les opérations à Quehanna ont cessé.

Cherchant à redonner à Curtiss-Wright le statut d'un des principaux fabricants de moteurs d'avion, Berner a déplacé l'accent de l'entreprise sur les produits de défense et d'électronique. Au début des années 1960, Curtiss-Wright a décroché des contrats avec l'Air Force pour des hélices, des pièces de missiles et la modernisation du moteur J-65 et a commencé à produire des boîtiers de fusée en acier pour les propulseurs à combustible solide pour les lanceurs spatiaux Titan III. Au cours de la même période, l'activité électronique de Curtiss-Wright s'est développée grâce à l'acquisition de sociétés spécialisées dans la fabrication de caméras radar et de commandes automatiques de synchronisation pour les avions et les missiles, ainsi que la fabrication de connecteurs de cartes de circuits imprimés pour les avions, les missiles et les ordinateurs. applications.

Curtiss-Wright a également étendu ses activités dans les domaines nucléaires avec l'acquisition d'un intérêt - et éventuellement le contrôle complet de - Target Rock Corporation, un fabricant de composants hydrauliques et d'équipements nucléaires. Curtiss-Wright a également élargi ses activités au Canada avec l'acquisition de sociétés engagées dans la production d'équipements hydrauliques pour les compagnies pétrolières et de produits sidérurgiques pour les industries du bâtiment et des mines.

En 1962, la société a reçu un contrat de la Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) pour étudier les technologies des compresseurs, des turbines et des ordinateurs pour les moteurs à réaction supersoniques de transport et a commencé à concourir pour un important contrat gouvernemental pour développer et produire un moteur d'avion de ligne commercial supersonique. Au milieu des années 1960, la société a vendu sa division d'accessoires et de composants électroniques à un moment où elle consacrait environ 15 millions de dollars de ses propres fonds au développement d'un moteur d'avion de transport supersonique.

Curtiss-Wright a perdu son offre pour produire le moteur supersonique et, en 1967, la société avait abandonné l'objectif de Berner de construire des moteurs d'avion complets, choisissant de devenir un fournisseur de premier rang, ou sous-traitant, pour d'autres sociétés impliquées dans l'aérospatiale et d'autres domaines. . À ce moment-là, lorsque Curtiss-Wright a décroché un contrat avec Boeing pour fournir des actionneurs de vol pour déployer et rétracter les volets sur les ailes de l'avion de ligne géant Boeing 747, ses mécanismes de «charnière de puissance» étaient déjà utilisés sur un avion de recherche supersonique de l'aviation nord-américaine. , un chasseur bombardier de General Dynamic et un hélicoptère Boeing. Les relations de Curtiss-Wright avec les clients gouvernementaux et commerciaux ont continué de s'améliorer et, à la fin des années 1960, Curtiss-Wright fournissait des composants pour le bus aérien et l'avion de transport militaire de Lockheed et était devenu pour de nombreuses entreprises aérospatiales un fournisseur privilégié de composants pour moteurs à réaction, des hélicoptères et des avions, ainsi qu'un fournisseur d'équipements nucléaires et de produits de haute précision pour les entreprises des domaines industriels non aérospatiaux.

En 1968, Curtiss-Wright a commencé un programme d'expansion à son usine d'extrusion de Buffalo, ajoutant de nouveaux équipements de forgeage et d'usinage pour la construction de composants d'avions et d'aérospatiale. Cette année-là, la société a acquis Metal Improvement Company, Inc. (MIC), un leader de l'industrie de la technologie de grenaillage utilisée pour créer des courbures aérodynamiques dans les avions et autres produits. Les activités de l'entreprise ont également été étendues grâce à l'acquisition d'entreprises nationales impliquées dans la production de nervures d'ailes d'avion et de pièces de cellule et d'un fabricant canadien d'équipement et de fournitures de travail des métaux pour l'industrie de la transformation de l'acier. En 1969, Curtiss-Wright a acquis une participation majoritaire dans Dorr-Oliver Inc., une société d'ingénierie qui fabriquait des équipements mécanisés pour les terminaux de fret aérien. Curtiss-Wright a finalement acquis le contrôle complet de Dorr-Oliver.

Curtiss-Wright est entré dans les années 1970 en tant que producteur de composants ou de systèmes pour tous les nouveaux avions de ligne commerciaux gros porteurs et la plupart des avions à réaction, à une époque où les réductions des dépenses militaires et militaires se traduisaient par une diminution des contrats gouvernementaux. Lorsque les constructeurs automobiles et d'autres entreprises ont commencé à manifester un intérêt croissant pour le moteur rotatif Wankel, Curtiss-Wright a commencé à étendre les accords de licence pour le moteur. En 1970, General Motors Corporation (GM) a payé 50 millions de dollars pour acquérir une licence non exclusive de cinq ans pour développer et fabriquer le moteur à combustion rotatif en Amérique du Nord. Les accords de licence ultérieurs prévoyaient le paiement de redevances à Curtiss-Wright pour toutes les ventes de moteurs Wankel en plus d'une redevance de licence. Les spéculations sur le potentiel de développement du Wankel plus petit, plus léger et plus puissant se sont intensifiées. En 1972, Wankel était devenu l'un des noms les plus en vue de Wall Street et l'action de Curtiss-Wright était l'une des plus volatiles et des plus activement négociées.

En 1972, Curtiss-Wright a accordé des licences de développement Wankel à Brunswick Corporation, un fabricant de la gamme Mercury de moteurs hors-bord, et à Ingersoll-Rand Company, pour une utilisation dans les ensembles compresseur, pompe et générateur électrique de cette entreprise. L'année suivante, American Motors Corporation est devenue le septième titulaire de licence Wankel de Curtiss-Wright, à peu près au même moment où GM a annoncé qu'elle introduirait le moteur rotatif dans son modèle Vega de 1975. Cependant, GM a rapidement renégocié son accord de paiement avec Curtiss-Wright, après avoir reporté indéfiniment les débuts du Wankel dans ses véhicules, citant les problèmes d'émissions et de consommation d'essence comme facteurs de motivation.

Batailles de prise de contrôle des années 1970

Alors que l'intérêt pour le Wankel diminuait, en raison de problèmes d'émissions d'hydrocarbures, Curtiss-Wright a commencé à acquérir les actions de Cenco Inc., un fabricant d'équipements de contrôle de la pollution et de fournitures médicales et un exploitant de maisons de soins infirmiers et d'hôpitaux. En juillet 1975, Curtiss-Wright avait acquis 16 pour cent des actions de Cenco. En apprenant que Cenco était impliqué dans des allégations de rapports d'auditeurs frauduleux et était au bord de la faillite, Curtiss-Wright a pris le contrôle de l'entreprise et a placé Shirley D. Brinsfield, présidente de Dorr-Oliver, comme présidente de Cenco. Pendant ce temps, Teledyne Inc., une entreprise diversifiée ayant des intérêts dans les systèmes de contrôle électronique et aéronautique et les assurances, a commencé à acquérir des actions Curtiss-Wright et, à la mi-1976, elle détenait une participation de 12%.

Également pendant cette période, Curtiss-Wright produisait une large gamme de composants nucléaires militaires, d'équipements de manutention nucléaire et de dispositifs de systèmes nucléaires, y compris des vannes et des régulateurs spéciaux et des machines de montage de soudure. La société a également commencé à développer activement des générateurs à turbine, qui ont été vendus à la fois au pays et à l'étranger.

En 1978, Berner a lancé un défi par procuration pour prendre le contrôle de Kennecott Corporation, la plus grande entreprise de cuivre du pays. Ayant déjà acquis une participation de 9,9% dans la société minière, Berner a accusé Kennecott d'avoir gaspillé des actifs dans son acquisition de 567 millions de dollars de la Carborundum Company, et il a proposé une liste d'administrateurs dissidents engagés à vendre Carborundum et à répartir le produit entre les actionnaires, dont Curtiss. -Wright. Les administrateurs de Kennecott ont remporté de justesse les élections, mais un juge fédéral a ordonné un deuxième vote. Pour éviter une nouvelle élection, Kennecott a convaincu Thomas D. Barrow, un cadre supérieur d'Exxon Corporation, de prendre le contrôle de la société de cuivre, et dans les deux semaines, Barrow et Berner ont convenu d'un nouveau conseil d'administration de Kennecott, qui siégerait jusqu'au printemps de 1981 et donnerait à la faction de Berner une voix dans les affaires de la société minière.

Au cours des deux années suivantes, Curtiss-Wright a augmenté à plus de 22% sa participation dans Lynch Corporation, un fabricant de machines de formage du verre et d'instruments de débit que Curtiss-Wright avait contrôlé pendant environ 15 ans. Curtiss-Wright est également entré sur le marché du traitement thermique en 1980 avec l'acquisition de Diebel Heat Treating Company, desservant les marchés de l'automobile, de l'exploration pétrolière et des équipements agricoles.

En novembre 1980, Curtiss-Wright avait augmenté sa participation dans Kennecott à 14,3 pour cent, et sa trêve avec la société était sur le point d'expirer. Par conséquent, la compagnie de cuivre a fait une offre pour acquérir Curtiss-Wright, déclenchant une deuxième série de guerres d'entreprise. Curtiss-Wright a répondu à la menace de Kennecott en lançant un rachat de ses propres actions pour bloquer les tentatives de prise de contrôle, stimulant une offre de Kennecott pour racheter les actions en circulation de Curtiss-Wright. En conséquence, Kennecott a acquis près de 32 pour cent de Curtiss-Wright et a dépassé Teledyne en tant que plus grand actionnaire de Curtiss-Wright, bien qu'en deçà de son objectif de contrôle majoritaire. En janvier 1981, Kennecott et Curtiss-Wright ont signé un accord de trêve de dix ans et Curtiss-Wright a vendu à Kennecott sa filiale Dorr-Oliver et ses actions Kennecott en retour, Kennecott a donné à Curtiss-Wright 168 millions de dollars et les actions de Curtiss-Wright il détenait, ce qui, avec les actions offertes dans le cadre de l'auto-rachat de Curtiss-Wright, a permis à Teledyne de contrôler plus de 50 % de Curtiss-Wright.

Reconfiguration dans les années 1980 et 1990

La vente de Cenco par Curtiss-Wright - entraînant un bénéfice de 9,8 millions de dollars - ainsi qu'un gain de 52 millions de dollars sur la vente des actions Dorr-Oliver et Kennecott ont contribué à faire passer les bénéfices de Curtiss-Wright à 85 millions de dollars en 1981. Ensuite, la société a commencé à investir dans Western Union Corporation, acquérant une participation de 21,6 % dans la société de télécommunications. Cet investissement s'est avéré infructueux, mais Curtiss-Wright a perdu 42 millions de dollars sur la société, et alors que ses bénéfices totaux de 1984 ont plongé à 1,9 million de dollars - contre 18,5 millions de dollars un an plus tôt - la société a vendu sa participation dans Western Union. Également pendant cette période, Curtiss-Wright a abandonné ses espoirs pour le Wankel, vendant son activité de moteurs à combustion rotatifs à Deere & Company après avoir échoué à découvrir une application commerciale pour les moteurs.

En 1986, Curtiss-Wright a reçu un contrat de l'Air Force de plus de 40 millions de dollars pour fournir des actionneurs de volets d'aile pour le F-16, ce qui a conduit à la poursuite des activités d'actionneurs de F-16. L'année suivante, Curtiss-Wright a été contraint de licencier plusieurs cadres supérieurs de Target Rock après avoir découvert un stratagème de détournement de fonds qui a abouti à l'inculpation de plusieurs anciens employés et fournisseurs. Considéré comme une victime des détournements de fonds, Curtiss-Wright n'a pas été inculpé d'inconduite criminelle dans cette affaire, bien qu'en 1990 le gouvernement ait engagé une action en justice contre Target Rock Corporation concernant des détournements de fonds par d'anciens responsables de Target Rock et leur prétendue inculpation de sous-traitants du gouvernement.

À la fin des années 1980, les ventes et les revenus de Curtiss-Wright sont restés assez stables, fluctuant entre 21 et 28 millions de dollars de bénéfices et entre 188 et 212 millions de dollars de ventes. En 1990, les revenus de l'entreprise ont grimpé à 214 millions de dollars tandis que les bénéfices ont chuté à 6,8 millions de dollars, en grande partie en raison d'une charge environnementale après impôts de 13,8 millions de dollars liée à la contamination des sols et des eaux souterraines de l'ancienne installation de Wood-Ridge. Au cours des deux années suivantes, cependant, les bénéfices ont rebondi à plus de 21 millions de dollars.

En mars 1990, Berner est décédé et a été remplacé par Shirley D. Brinsfield, une directrice externe et ancienne présidente de Cenco qui s'est engagée à concentrer les opérations de Curtiss-Wright sur la fabrication plutôt que sur les investissements. Charles E. Ehinger a été élu président et le fils de Berner, Thomas R. Berner, a été élu au conseil d'administration de la société. Moins de quatre mois après la mort de Berner, Curtiss-Wright a déclaré un dividende spécial de 30 $ par action. Les principaux bénéficiaires étaient Unitrin Inc., une compagnie d'assurance autrefois détenue par Teledyne avec une participation de 44 % dans Curtiss-Wright, et Argonaut Group (anciennement détenue par Teledyne) avec une participation de 8 %.

En juillet 1991, Ehinger a démissionné de son poste de président et Brinsfield a assumé les fonctions de président. Curtiss-Wright a vendu l'entreprise de distribution de moteurs de sa filiale canadienne et a abandonné ses activités canadiennes restantes peu de temps après.

Au début de 1993, Curtiss-Wright a annoncé qu'elle envisagerait la vente de trois de ses quatre unités commerciales, y compris Metal Improvement Company, son groupe Flight Systems et son installation d'extrusion Buffalo. En mai 1993, la présidence de Curtiss-Wright a été confiée à David Lasky, un ancien vice-président senior, et, deux mois plus tard, Curtiss-Wright a abandonné les tentatives de vente de ses filiales Flight Systems, les offres ne répondant pas aux attentes. En octobre, Curtiss-Wright avait conclu un accord pour vendre son activité d'extrusion, tandis que les conditions déprimées sur les marchés de l'aérospatiale commerciale et militaire ont conduit l'entreprise à abandonner la vente de MIC, qui avait recueilli des offres moins que favorables. À la fin de l'année, la filiale Target Rock de Curtiss Wright a accepté de payer 17,5 millions de dollars au gouvernement pour régler les litiges restants. Le règlement de Target Rock, associé aux frais de nettoyage environnemental, a contribué à une perte annuelle de 5,6 millions de dollars sur des ventes en baisse de 158,9 millions de dollars.

Curtiss-Wright est entré en 1994 à la recherche de marchés commerciaux élargis dans le domaine du contrôle de la pollution, pour lesquels ses vannes de régulation électroniques étaient bien adaptées. La société a été confrontée à des réductions de la production d'avions commerciaux, à une réduction des niveaux de prix et à l'achat de l'avion de chasse Lockheed F-16 par l'Air Force, à la résiliation des commandes de vannes pour le programme Seawolf de la Marine et à une réduction de l'activité de production dans le programme nucléaire de la Marine. L'avenir de Curtiss-Wright, qui a abandonné la vente de ses filiales en 1993 au profit d'une valeur actionnariale optimale, semblait dépendre à la fois de l'économie des marchés traditionnels de l'entreprise et du succès de l'entreprise à aborder de nouveaux marchés. L'avenir de l'entreprise semblait également dépendre de sa capacité et de sa volonté de maintenir ses unités commerciales sous le nom de Curtiss-Wright à une époque de consolidation et de réductions croissantes dans les secteurs de la défense et de l'aérospatiale.

Après avoir perdu 5,6 millions de dollars en 1993, CWC a enregistré un bénéfice net de 19 millions de dollars sur des revenus totaux de 166 millions de dollars en 1994. Ces chiffres sont restés stables pour 1995. À l'époque, les contrats gouvernementaux représentaient environ 35 pour cent des activités de l'entreprise. Les réductions militaires, principalement pour le programme F-16 et les vannes militaires, ont affecté les segments Aéronautique et Marine. La société a également résisté aux coûts de développement liés aux nouveaux programmes Lockheed-Martin F-22, McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 E/F et Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey. Elle a également fourni des hélicoptères militaires Sikorsky Black Hawk et Seahawk.

CWC a remporté certains contrats dont elle n'était pas le fournisseur d'origine, comme dans plusieurs gammes d'avions Boeing, tandis que sa filiale Metal Improvement Company fournissait des services de grenaillage pour Airbus et McDonnell Douglas. CWC a vendu son installation d'extrusion de Buffalo en juin 1995. Malgré les dépassements de coûts pour les vannes nucléaires commerciales, le segment industriel a montré une amélioration.

Une filiale européenne, Curtiss-Wright Flight Systems/Europe, a ouvert ses portes en 1995. Les activités à l'étranger, en forte croissance, représentaient 18 % des ventes et 34 % des bénéfices en 1996. La société a également ouvert des installations de grenaillage en Belgique et en Allemagne. CWC a étendu ses activités de révision et de réparation, en capitalisant sur la tendance des compagnies aériennes à maintenir les avions en service plus longtemps. Il a acheté l'unité de service d'accessoires d'Aviall, Inc. basée à Miami pour environ 17 millions de dollars. L'entreprise a doublé la capacité de son usine aérospatiale de Shelby, en Caroline du Nord.

Les ventes étaient de 219 millions de dollars en 1997 et de 249 millions de dollars en 1998. La société a annoncé un autre contrat de dix ans avec British Aerospace Airbus pour le traitement des surfaces métalliques des ailes. Chez nous, la société a consolidé ses opérations de système d'actionnement dans son usine de Shelby en raison de compressions militaires, tandis que l'usine de Fairfield, dans le New Jersey, a continué à gérer la gestion, l'ingénierie et les tests pour les programmes militaires.

Boeing a annoncé un ralentissement de la production à la fin de 1998. Cependant, CWC prévoyait peu de retombées immédiates et la société a rapidement annoncé un nouvel accord de huit ans pour les systèmes de commandes de vol avec Boeing. Il a également été invité à équiper deux prototypes du programme de véhicules aériens de combat sans pilote de Boeing. En quelques mois, CWC a annoncé un contrat de dix ans pour fournir des traitements de grenaillage de métal pour l'avion à rotors basculants Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey et son dérivé commercial. (Il a également rejoint Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation dans une entreprise d'outils de sauvetage.)

Les contrats gouvernementaux représentaient en moyenne moins de 20 pour cent des ventes à la fin des années 90, alors que la CWC recherchait de nouvelles technologies et de nouveaux marchés. Curtiss-Wright Flight Systems a acquis SIG-Antriebstechnik GmbH, l'unité de technologie d'entraînement du groupe SIG Swiss Industrial Company, au début de 1999. Ses produits étaient principalement utilisés dans les embarcations marines commerciales, les trains à grande vitesse et les véhicules militaires. En juin, CWC a acquis Metallurgical Processing, une entreprise de traitement thermique automobile et industrielle basée à Fort Wayne, dans l'Indiana. Le mois suivant, elle a racheté l'activité de contrôle de débit à Teledyne Fluid Systems.

Les ventes annuelles, à 293 millions de dollars, ont augmenté de 18 pour cent en 1999. Le bénéfice net a augmenté de près de 30 pour cent à 39 millions de dollars. Les ventes de Motion Control ont augmenté de 18 % pour atteindre 124 millions de dollars, principalement en raison de l'acquisition de Drive Technology et d'une augmentation de la production d'avions commerciaux chez Boeing. Après une année record en 1998, les ventes de Metal Treatment ont légèrement baissé à 106 millions de dollars. Le segment Flow Control de CWC a montré la plus grande amélioration, avec des ventes bondissant de 71 pour cent à 65 millions de dollars.

Forbes a nommé Curtiss-Wright Corporation l'une des 200 meilleures petites entreprises américaines en 1999. David Lasky a pris sa retraite en avril 2000 et a été remplacé par Martin R. Benante en tant que PDG et président. Lasky était dans l'entreprise depuis 38 ans que Benante l'avait rejointe en 1978.

Filiales principales : Curtiss-Wright Flight Systems Inc. Metal Improvement Company Inc. Curtiss-Wright Flow Control Corporation Curtiss-Wright Flow Control Service Corporation Curtiss-Wright Flow Control Company Canada Curtiss-Wright Flight Systems Europe A/S (Danemark) Curtiss-Wright Foreign Sales Corp. (Barbade) Curtiss-Wright Antriebstechnik GmbH (Suisse).

Divisions principales : Contrôle de mouvement Contrôle de flux de traitement des métaux.

Concurrents principaux : Parker Hannifin Corp. Aeroquip-Vickers Inc. Telair International Inc. Rexroth Corp.

Carley, William M. et Tim Metz, « Proxy Pugilism : Curtiss-Wright's Bid for Kennecott Has David-Goliath Aspects », Wall Street Journal, 18 avril 1978, p. 1, 39.
Combs, Harry, and Martin Caidin, Kill Devil Hill: Discovering the Secret of the Wright Brothers, Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1979 Englewood, Colo.: TernStyle, 1986.
'Curtiss-Wright Engine Has Only 2 Moving Parts,' Wall Street Journal, November 24, 1959, p. 4.
'Curtiss-Wright Redefines Itself,' Aerospace Daily, December 10, 1998, p. 388.
'Curtiss-Wright Sees Its Earnings Growth Continuing This Year,' Wall Street Journal, February 18, 1969, p. 8.
'Curtiss-Wright, Studebaker-Packard Paths Marked by Mergers in Plane, Auto Fields,' Wall Street Journal, August 6, 1956, p. 4.
Eltscher, Louis R., and Edward M. Young, Curtiss-Wright: Greatness and Decline, New York: Twayne, 1998.
'Facing Reality,' Forbes, November 15, 1967, pp. 24-25.
'Hurley Gives Up Curtiss-Wright Posts Berner, a Director, Is Named Chairman,' Wall Street Journal, May 26, 1960, p. 9.
'Kennecott and Curtiss-Wright End Corporate Battle by Agreeing to 10-Year Truce Involving $280 Million,' Wall Street Journal, January 29, 1981, p. 3.
Lee, Loyd E., review of Curtiss-Wright: Greatness and Decline, by Louis R. Eltscher and Edward M. Young, in Business History Review, Autumn 1999, pp. 533-35.
Lavelle, Louis, 'Curtiss-Wright To Lay Off 90 Employees from Essex County, NJ Plant,' The Record (Hackensack, New Jersey), November 19, 1998.
Lenckus, Dave, 'Benefit Termination Not Unlawful: Ruling,' Business Insurance, May 18, 1998, pp. 3f.
Martin, Richard, 'Wondrous Wankel: Engine Not Only Drives Vehicles, But It Also Puts Stocks into Orbit,' Wall Street Journal, June 16, 1972, pp. 1, 25.
Shao, Maria, 'Kennecott's Battle with Curtiss-Wright Involves Ambitions, Strategies and Money,' Wall Street Journal, January 5, 1981, p. 19.
Stevens, Charles W., 'Curtiss-Wright Picks Top Officers After Berner Death,' Wall Street Journal, March 23, 1990, p. C18.
Tannenbaum, Jeffrey A., 'Curtiss-Wright Slates Payout of $30 a Share,' Wall Street Journal, July 13, 1990, p. C9.
'The Well-Deserved Decline of Curtiss-Wright,' Forbes, November 15, 1967, pp. 24-26.

Source : Répertoire international des histoires d'entreprises, Vol. 35. St. James Press, 2001.


Curtiss XP-11 - History

Curtiss-Wright, perhaps best known as the manufacturer of the legendary P-40 Warhawk fighter plane, was the largest aviation company and the second largest company in the world (behind only General Motors) during World War II.

These photos are from the Life Magazine Archive, taken by photographer Dmitri Kessel during the winter/spring of 1941 (likely March or April) at Buffalo, NY.

Curtiss-Wright was headquartered and had most airframe engineering and production facilities at Buffalo. Curtiss, along with several other aircraft companies such as Bell and Consolidated, effectively turned the city into the center of the U.S. aircraft industry from World War I through World War II.

This set contains three aircraft, mainly the P-40 (B or C variants) "Warhawk" / "Tomahawk" / "Kittyhawk" and the O-52 "Owl," (both produced by Curtiss at the Kenmore Avenue Plant), as well as a few incidental photos of the SBC-4 "Helldiver." Also pictured are flights over the Buffalo area, and several photos of Curtiss' visibly makeshift Buffalo Airport facilities, before the huge Genesee Street Plant was completed there later in the war.

The set clearly shows a company frantic to fill both domestic and Lend-Lease orders during early 1941, well before the United States became directly involved in World War II (at the very end of that year, after Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941).

In many of the photos, aircraft are shown being assembled outside—even, apparently, during the late winter or early spring. This is a telling indication of the huge demand and Curtiss' lagging production capacity at that time. Never had the world needed aircraft so quickly and in such large numbers, and not since World War I had aircraft been produced in any significant quantity.

In fact, between Curtiss-Wright and Bell Aircraft, more airplanes were built in Buffalo in 1940-1942 than the rest of the U.S. aircraft industry combined. These two Buffalo firms helped win the war by keeping the Allies in the fight during the tenuous years before the U.S. fully entered the conflict.

© Time Inc. For personal non-commercial use only. Photos can be found online at: images.google.com or at www.life.com. (Search using both "Curtiss" and "Buffalo" keywords at both sites.)

Remarques: I have attempted to correct any irregularities in the originally posted photos. You may notice the occasional 'Life' logo is shown backwards or upside-down. This is intentional. Many of the originally posted photos were backwards or otherwise mis-oriented. In addition, captions were often inaccurate, so these were corrected where possible—and I've liberally added my own comments. Espérons que vous apprécierez!


Bugatti Model 100P Racer

Ettore Bugatti was born in Milan, Italy on 15 September 1881. In 1909, he founded his own automobile company in Molsheim, in the Alsace region. The Alsace region was controlled by the German Empire until 1919, when control returned to France. The Bugatti race cars were incredibly successful in the 1920s and 1930s, collectively wining over 2,000 races. During that time period, Bugatti enjoyed seeing the small machines that bore his name defeat the larger and more powerful machines of his major rivals: the German vehicles from Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union.

The elegant lines of the Bugatti 100P are well displayed in this image. (Hugh Conway Jr. image)

In 1936, Bugatti began to consider the possibility of building an aircraft around two straight eight-cylinder Bugatti T50B (Type 50B) engines, very similar to the engines that powered the Bugatti Grand Prix race cars. This aircraft would be used to make attempts on several speed records, most importantly, the 3 km world landplane speed record, then held by Howard Hughes in the Hughes H-1 Racer at 352.389 mph (567.115 km/h). Bugatti turned to Louis de Monge, a Belgian engineer, to help design the aircraft, known as the Bugatti Model 100P.

Bugatti 100P general arrangement drawing based off the original drawings by Louis de Monge. Note the arrangement of the power and cooling systems.

Before construction of the Bugatti 100P began, Germany demonstrated what if felt was its aerial superiority by setting a new 3 km world landplane speed record at 379.63 mph (610.95 km/h) in a Messerschmitt Bf 109 (V13) on 11 November 1937. Bugatti disliked Nazi-Germany and was very interested in beating their record. Bugatti and de Monge continued to develop the 100P for an attempt to capture the 3 km record from Germany.

The Bugatti 100P was one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built. With the exception of engine exhaust ports, the 25 ft 5 in (7.75 m) fuselage was completely smooth. The aircraft employed wood monocouque “sandwich” construction in which layers of balsa wood were glued and carved to achieve the desired aerodynamic shape. Hardwood rails and supports were set into the balsa wood to take concentrated loads at stress points, like engine mounts and the canopy. The airframe was then covered with tulipwood strips, which were then sanded and filled. Finally, the aircraft was covered with linen and doped. The Bugatti 100P stood 7 ft 4 in (2.23 m) tall and weighed 3,086 lb (1,400 kg).

The 100P had a 27 ft (8.235 m), one-piece wing that was slightly forward-swept. The wing had a single box spar that ran through the fuselage. The wing was constructed in the same fashion as the fuselage and housed the fully retractable and enclosed main gear. The wing featured a multi-purpose, self-adjusting flap system (U.S. patent 2,279,615). Both the upper and lower flap surfaces automatically moved up or down to suit the speed of the aircraft and the power setting (manifold pressure) of the engines. At high manifold pressure and very low airspeed, the flaps set themselves to a takeoff position. At low airspeed and low power, the flaps dropped into landing position, and the landing gear was automatically lowered. In a dive, the flaps pivoted apart to form air brakes.

Image of the nearly complete Bugatti 100P still under construction in Paris. The cooling-air inlet in the butterfly tail can be easily seen.

The Bugatti tail surfaces consisted of two butterfly units and a ventral fin at 120-degree angles (French patent 852,599). They were constructed with the same wood “sandwich” method used on the fuselage and wing. The tip of the ventral fin incorporated a retractable tail skid. For cooling, air was scooped into ducts in the leading edges of the butterfly tail and ventral fin. The air was turned 180 degrees, flowed into a plenum chamber in the aft fuselage, and passed through a two section radiator (one section for each engine) located behind the rear engine. The now-heated air again turned 180 degrees and exited out the fuselage sides into a low pressure area behind the trailing edge of the wings. The high pressure at the intake and low pressure at the outlet created natural air circulation that required no fans or blowers (U.S. patent 2,268,183).

The two Bugatti T50B straight eight-cylinder engines were specially made for the 100P aircraft. The engine crankcases were made of magnesium to reduce weight, and each engine used a lightweight Roots-type supercharger feeding two downdraft carburetors. The T50B had a bore of 3.31 in (84 mm) and a stroke of 4.21 in (107 mm), giving a total displacement of 289 cu in (4.74 L). Twin-overhead camshafts actuated the two intake and two exhaust valves for each cylinder. The standard T50B race car engine produced 480 hp (358 kW) at 5,000 rpm. An output of 450 hp (336 kW) at 4,500 rpm is usually given for the 100P’s engines however, de Monge stated the engines planned for the 100P were to produce 550 hp (410 kW) each. The engines were situated in tandem, behind the pilot. The front engine was canted to the right and drove a drive shaft that passed by the pilot’s right side. The rear engine was canted to the left and drove a drive shaft that passed by the pilot’s left side. The two shafts joined into a common reduction gearbox just beyond the pilot’s feet. The gearbox allowed each engine to drive a metal, two-blade, ground-adjustable Ratier propeller. Together, the two propeller sets made a coaxial contra-rotating unit. From the gearbox, the rear propeller shaft (driven by the front engine) was hollow, and the front shaft (driven by the rear engine) rotated inside it (U.S. patent 2,244,763).

Image of the two T50B engines in the Bugatti 100P while at the Ermeronville estate. Note the radiator at left , how the engines are canted within the fuselage, and how the exhaust ports on the front engine protrude through the fuselage.

Once the new design was finalized in 1938, construction of the 100P was begun at a high quality furniture factory in Paris. While construction proceeded, it was obvious that war would break out soon. France did not have any fighters that could match the performance of their German counterparts. The French Air Ministry felt the 100P could be developed into a light pursuit or reconnaissance fighter and awarded a contract to Bugatti in 1939. This fighter was to be equipped with at least one gun mounted in each wing, an oxygen system, and self-sealing fuel tanks. Most aspects of the fighter are unknown, but it is possible that it was larger than the 100P and incorporated 525 hp (391 kW) T50B engines installed side-by-side in the fuselage driving six-blade coaxial contra-rotating propellers with a 37-mm cannon firing through the propeller hub. Because of France’s surrender, the aircraft never progressed beyond the initial design phase.

The Bugatti 100P, finally in all its glory after being completely restored by the Experimental Aircraft Association. Note the fairing for the rear engine ‘s exhaust ports above the wing. (Hugh Conway Jr. image)

Bugatti’s contract included a bonus of 1 million francs if the 100P racer captured the world speed record which the Germans had raised to 463.919 mph (746.606 km/h) with a Heinkel He 100 (V8) on 30 March 1939 and raised again to 469.221 mph (755.138 km/h) with a Messerschmitt Me 209 (V1) on 26 April 1939. Bugatti and de Monge felt the 100P was capable of around 500 mph (800 km/h). In addition, a smaller version of the racer, known as the 110P, was planned it featured a 5 ft (1.525 m) reduced wingspan of 22 ft (6.7 m). The 110P was to have the same engines as the 100P, but the top speed was estimated at 550 mph (885 km/h). However, other sources indicate these figures were very optimistic, and the expected performance was more around 400 mph (640 km/h) for the 100P and 475 mph (768 km/h) for the 110P.

The 100P was nearly complete when Germany invaded France. As the Germans closed in on Paris in June 1940, the Bugatti 100P and miscellaneous parts, presumably for the 110P, were removed from the furniture factory and loaded on a truck. The 100P was taken out into the country and hidden in a barn on Bugatti’s Ermeronville Castle estate 30 mi (50 km) northeast of Paris.

Bugatti 100P on display at the EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The cooling air exit slots on the left side of the aircraft can be seen on the wing trailing edge fillet. Also note the tail skid on the ventral fin.

Ettore Bugatti died on 21 August 1947 with the 100P still stashed away in Ermeronville. The aircraft was purchased by M. Serge Pozzoli in 1960 but remained in Ermeronville until 1970 when it was sold to Ray Jones, an expert Bugatti automobile restorer from the United States. Both Pozzoli and Jones offered the 100P to French museums but were turned down. Jones acquired the 100P with the intent to complete the aircraft however, that goal could not be completed due to missing parts. Jones had the two Bugatti T50B engines removed from the airframe before everything was shipped to the United States. Dr. Peter Williamson purchased the airframe and moved it to Vintage Auto Restorations in Ridgefield, Connecticut in February 1971 to begin a lengthy restoration. Les and Don Lefferts worked on the project from 1975 to 1979. Louis de Monge was now living in the United States and assisted with some aspects of the restoration work before he passed away in 1977. In 1979, the unfinished 100P was donated to the Air Force Museum Foundation with the hope of having the restoration completed and the aircraft loaned to a museum for display. However, the aircraft sat until 1996 when it was donated to the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and finally underwent a full restoration. The restored, but engineless, Bugatti 100P is currently on display at the EAA AirVenture Museum.

The original engines out of the Model 100P were reportedly not the final version of the engines intended for the actual speed record run. Both engines still exist and are installed in Bugatti automobiles. The front engine is installed in Ray Jones’ 1937 Type 59/50B R Grand Prix racer, and the rear engine is installed in Charles Dean’s 1935 Type 59/50B Grand Prix racer. Since January 2009, Scotty Wilson has led an international team, including Louis de Monge’s grand-nephew, Ladislas de Monge, to build a flying replica of the Bugatti 100P in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Piloted by Wilson, the Bugatti 100P replica flew for the first time on 19 August 2015. Tragically, Scotty Wilson was killed when the replica crashed during a test flight on 6 August 2016.

Bugatti 100P on display at the EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Simply one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built.


Curtiss H-1640 Chieftain Aircraft Engine

In April 1926 the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company initiated a design study for a 600 hp (447 kW), air-cooled aircraft engine. The engine was to have minimal frontal area while keeping its length as short as possible. Configurations that were considered but discarded were a 9-cylinder single-row radial, a 14-cylinder two-row radial, a 12-cylinder Vee, and a 16-cylinder X. The selected design was a rather unusual 12-cylinder engine that Curtiss referred to as a “hexagon” configuration. This engine was built as the Curtiss H-1640 Chieftain.

The Curtiss H-1640 Chieftain “hexagon” or “inline-radial” engine. The image on the left was taken in 1927 note “Curtiss Hexagon” is written on the valve covers. In front of each cylinder pair is the housing for the vertical shaft that drove the overhead camshafts. The image on the right was taken in 1932 and shows a more refined engine with “Curtiss Chieftain” written on the valve covers. Note the additional cooling fins surrounding the spark plugs. In both images, the baffle at the rear of each exhaust Vee forced cooling air into the intake Vee.

The Curtiss H-1640 was designed by Arthur Leak and Arthur Nutt. The Chieftain’s “hexagon” design was a combination of a radial and Vee engine. The intent was to combine the strengths of both engine configurations: the light and short features of a conventional radial with the narrow and high rpm (for the time) of a conventional Vee engine.

The Chieftain was arranged as if it were a 12-cylinder Vee engine cut into three sections, each being a four-cylinder Vee. The Vee engine sections were then positioned in a radial form 120 degrees apart (each cylinder bank being 60 degrees apart). The end result was a two-row, twelve-cylinder, inline radial engine. The H-1640 resembled a conventional radial engine except that the second cylinder row was directly behind the first.

An engine installation comparison of the air cooled Chieftain-powered XO-18 Falcon at left and a liquid-cooled D-12-powered Falcon at right. Note that while the Chieftain is a wider engine, it blends well with the fuselage and is shorter and not as tall as the Curtiss D-12.

Each four-cylinder Vee section had the cylinder exhaust ports on the inside of the Vee and the intake ports on the outside. Each inline cylinder pair had its own intake runner and dual-overhead camshafts that were enclosed in a common valve cover. The camshafts were driven via a single vertical shaft from the front of the engine. There were four valves per cylinder.

Cooling air was directed through each four-cylinder section’s exhaust Vee here it met a baffle fitted to the rear of the engine and attached to the cowling. This baffle deflected the air and forced it to flow between the inline cylinders and behind the rear cylinder. The air then flowed into the intake Vee that was blocked off at the front. The air exited the cowling via louvers over the intake Vee.

The Curtiss O-1B Falcon that was redesignated XO-18 while it served as the test-bed for the Chieftain engine. Note the exposed valve covers and the exhaust stacks protruding through the engine cowling.

The pistons were aluminum and operated in steel cylinder barrels that were screwed and shrunk into cast aluminum cylinders with integral cooling fins. From U.S. patent 1,962,246 filed by Leak in 1931, it appears that the Chieftain’s connecting rods consisted of two halves that were bolted together. Each half was made up of one master rod and two articulating rods.

The H-1640 Chieftain had a bore of 5.625 in (143 mm) and a stroke of 5.5 in (140 mm), giving a total displacement of 1,640 cu in (26.9 L). The engine’s maximum diameter was 45.25 in (1.15 m). However, a special cowling was used, cut to allow the valve covers and exhaust stacks to protrude through, reducing the diameter of the cowling to 39 in (0.99 m). The engine was 52.3 in (1.33 m) long and weighed 900 lb (408 kg). The Chieftain had a 5.2 to 1 compression ratio and was rated at 600 hp (447 kW) at 2,200 rpm but developed 615 hp (459 kW). When the engine was pressed to 2,330 rpm, it produced 653 hp (487 kW). It was equipped with a centrifugal-type supercharger that allowed the engine to maintain sea-level power up to 12,000 ft (3,658 m). All Chieftain engines built were direct drive but geared versions had been planned. In addition, some design work on a four-row, 24-cylinder version of 1,200 hp (895 kW) had been done.

Side view of the Thomas-Morse XP-13 Viper with the Curtiss Chieftain engine and revised cowl. Not the louvers for the cooling air to exit the cowling.

Because the engine had an even number of cylinders per each row, a unique firing order was developed that alternated between the front and rear rows. When the engine was viewed from the rear, the cylinders were numbered starting with the cylinder bank at the 9 o’clock position and proceeding clockwise around the engine. The rear cylinder row had odd numbers, and the front cylinder row was even so that the rear cylinder of the cylinder bank at 9 o’clock was number 1 and the front was number 2. The firing order was initially 1, 10, 5, 7, 4, 11, 8, 3, 12, 2, 9, 6 but was later changed to 1, 10, 5, 2, 9, 11, 8, 3, 12, 7, 4, 6 in an effort to smooth out the engine.

The H-1640 Chieftain was first run in 1927 and flown in a modified Curtiss O-1B Falcon, redesignated XO-18, in April 1928. The Chieftain-powered test-bed aircraft was found to out-climb and have a higher ceiling than the standard liquid-cooled Curtiss D-12-powered Falcon. In addition, the top-speed of the two aircraft was the same, which was unheard of for that time period when liquid-cooled aircraft were faster than their air-cooled counterparts. However, the engine suffered cooling issues, and the aircraft was modified back to an O-1B in July 1930.

A comparison of the original cowling on the XP-13 at left and the updated cowling at right. The front of the cowling has been extended and angled out. The block-off plates in between the openings have been angled to funnel air into the enlarged openings.

Thomas-Morse also responded to the Army’s interest in using the Curtiss H-1640. The company’s Viper fighter prototype was built to use the Chieftain engine. This aircraft was tested at Wright Field in June 1929 and given the designation XP-13. Engine overheating was encountered, and a revised cowling was tried in an effort to provide adequate cooling for the H-1640. The new cowling had enlarged openings, and the blocked off sections were angled to force more air into the openings. However, over-heating persisted. The XP-13 was tested until September 1930, when a Pratt & Whitney R-1340C engine was installed and the aircraft redesignated XP-13A. Even though this engine was not as powerful, it was lighter and did not suffer the cooling issues present with the Chieftain. The XP-13A was found to be 15 mph (24 km/h) faster than the Chieftain-powered XP-13. Curtiss had planned to produce the Viper under the designation XP-14, but the H-1640 engine was lacking support so no aircraft were built.

Another Chieftain was installed in the Navy’s second Curtiss XF8C-1 prototype in 1930. The H-1640-powered aircraft was known as the Curtiss XOC3. It too suffered from engine over-heating. The Chieftain engine remained installed in the XOC3 until the aircraft was removed from the Navy’s inventory in April 1932.

Detail view of the revised cowling on the Chieftain-powered Thomas-Morse XP-13. The image on the left illustrates the angle of the block-off plates. Note the six, instead of eight, exhaust stacks of the upper cylinders. The last two stacks are combined and exit from a single stack aft of the cowling.

In October 1928, the Army ordered three Curtiss P-6 Hawk aircraft to be powered by the H-1640 engine and designated them XP-11. However, shortly after the order was placed, the engine’s cooling trouble became known and the engine’s development ceased. The aircraft were never built with the Chieftain engine.

A total of eight H-1640 engines were made with six going to the Air Corps and two to the Navy. While the Chieftain’s design may have been problematic, the event that directly led to its lack of support and ultimate abandonment was the merger of Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company with Wright Aeronautical in July 1929. After the merger, the liquid-cooled engines were provided by Curtiss and the air-cooled engines from Wright. There was no longer a need for the Chieftain, an air-cooled engine of rather dubious design. However, the concept of a hexagonal engine would be revisited with the Wright H-2120, and other hexagonal engines include the SNCM 137, the Junkers Jumo 222, and the Dobrynin series of aircraft engines..

Reportedly, at least one Curtiss H-1640 Chieftain survives and is in storage at the National Air and Space Museum’s Garber Facility in Silver Hill, Maryland.

The second Curtiss XF8C-1 re-engined with the H-1640 Chieftain and redesignated XOC3.

Partager:

Comme ça:


Curtiss Model E flying boat

Nos rédacteurs examineront ce que vous avez soumis et détermineront s'il faut réviser l'article.

Curtiss Model E flying boat, aircraft designed and built by American aeronautics pioneer Glenn Hammond Curtiss and first flown in 1912. Although the French aviation pioneer Henri Farman had flown off the water in 1910, the Curtiss Model E of 1912 was the first truly successful flying boat. (Voir également history of flight.)

The Model E followed the development of the standard Model D (1911) and the earliest Curtiss experiments in off-the-water flying (1910–12). Like earlier Curtiss machines, it was a braced biplane featuring interplane ailerons designed to avoid the provisions of the Wright brothers’ patent. The pilot was seated in an early version of the “step hull” with standpipes, features designed to assist in breaking the suction of the water during takeoff. Curtiss successfully patented the hull innovations introduced on the Model E. The final version of the aircraft had a maximum speed of some 52 miles (84 km) per hour.

As initially constructed, the Model E featured a canard, or forward elevator, in addition to the standard elevator at the rear. When it was discovered that the canard created control difficulties, the forward surface was removed. Other alterations were featured in later versions of the Model E. A final, amphibious version featured retractable wheels.


Genesis of the Jenny

Ken Cassens pilots the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome’s Curtiss JN-4H “Jenny” near Rhinebeck, N.Y.

Although generally attributed to aviation pioneer Glenn Curtiss, the iconic JN-4 owes much to an obscure British designer.

For Eddie Rickenbacker, Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart and countless less famous American pilots swept up in the rise of aviation, the Curtiss JN-4 “Jenny” held a special place in their careers, if not their hearts.

After World War I, a surplus Jenny could be had for about $500, allowing many who dreamed of flying to purchase their own airplane. In an age unfettered by aviation regulations and agencies, they were free to roam America’s skies at will, barnstorming and giving rides to eager bystanders to earn a modest living.

Most people associate the Jenny with aviation pioneer Glenn H. Curtiss, but the biplane owes much of its pedigree to British designer Benjamin Douglas Thomas. The two seemed an odd couple. Curtiss had a mercurial temper at times, but was taciturn at others. A compulsive tinkerer, he would scrawl drawings of his ideas on the walls of his shop in Hammondsport, N.Y. His record of achievement was as extensive as the ongoing litigation he faced from the Wright brothers due to alleged patent infringement. Thomas, shy and self-effacing, was a trained engineer who had previously worked for both Avro and Sopwith before Curtiss lured him to the United States in 1914.

The Jenny sprang from an American desire to catch up to the aviation boom that had occurred in Europe prior to WWI. Curtiss sought to create an economical airplane that would be competitive on the world market. In 1913 he developed his first tractor biplane, the Model G. It featured a side-by-side cockpit in a fully enclosed fuselage, ailerons between the wings hinged to the interplane struts and an empennage more characteristic of European aircraft manufacturers, most notably Sopwith.

U.S. Army Signal Corps Brig. Gen. James Allen had corresponded with Curtiss in November 1912, indicating the need for a tractor biplane that met Army specifications. Curtiss told Allen that he was working on such a plane, and finally shipped the G to San Diego, where it was tested and accepted by the Army in June 1913. With an 80-hp engine, it could fly at an average speed of 55 mph and climb to 2,280 feet in 10 minutes. The G was also relatively easy to disassemble and ship, but it was only nominally successful.

The Model H followed and included some important differences—among them Farman- or Sopwith-type ailerons inset in the upper wing’s trailing edge and outboard-angled struts. Its O-type engine delivered 80-90 hp. Accepted by the Signal Corps in December 1913, the sole Model H (not to be confused with Curtiss’ line of Model H flying boats) was termed “clumsy but reliable.”

Ultimately, the G and the H were marginal performers, and both Curtiss and the Army knew it. This was likely the impetus behind Curtiss’ 1913 trip abroad to tour British and European aircraft factories. He wanted to see how they built airplanes and to lay the groundwork for foreign military contracts.

While Curtiss visited the Sopwith Aviation Company at Kingston-on-Thames, a man who was too shy to even introduce himself tagged along. Later, on a rainy London evening, both men fortuitously ducked into a newsstand on the Strand. Thomas noticed Curtiss reading a paper, and he chanced a conversation with the American aviator. He learned that Curtiss was on his way to Russia with hopes of opening a plant there. Curtiss had to make a stop in Paris before continuing to Russia, and he asked Thomas to accompany him on his dime. The Sop­with engineer readily agreed.

As they crossed the Channel, the two men discussed ideas for a new tractor biplane that Curtiss would designate the Model J. In Paris, Curtiss suggested that Thomas resign from Sopwith and work for him on the design. Thomas agreed, and soon set up a tent in his parents’ backyard where he worked feverishly to lay out the J’s design. He drew up plans, made stress and materials calculations and set specifications, pedaling his bike 20 miles roundtrip every time he had blueprints to send off to Hammondsport.


Curtiss’ influence was evident on the Model N, which featured interplane ailerons that he had originally developed to circumvent Wright brothers patents. (Glenn H. Curtiss Museum)

On the other side of the Pond, the blueprints were quickly turned into finished airplane components. Finally, in April 1914, Thomas received a short but sweet cable from Curtiss that simply said, “Come on over.” By early May, Thomas was in New York, never to return to England. Curtiss was pleased to have a British designer on his team in Hammondsport. Thomas could not only help him develop competitive tractor biplanes, but also aid in securing British contracts—it certainly wouldn’t hurt to have a man who had worked for both Avro and Sopwith on the payroll.

That same year, Lieutenant Benjamin D. Foulois took command of the Signal Corps’ 1st Aero Squadron. He standardized aircraft specifications, maintenance and supply. Foulois and the aviators at the Signal Corps Aviation School developed very specific guidelines for a standard squadron airplane: “a two-seat tractor biplane with a dual control system, a minimum speed of 40 mph, and a flying duration of four hours at top speed. The design had to be streamlined and include frictionless controls, a positive driven fuel pump, and a tachometer…the engine had to be easily replaced. Finally, four mechanics had to be able to assemble an airplane in two hours and disassemble and pack it away in one-and-a-half hours.”

Tractor biplanes were on the rise in Europe because of repeated fatal training accidents with pushers in which the pilot was sandwiched between the engine and the ground in a crash. By February 1914, the Army had officially condemned pusher-type aircraft. Two months later, the Curtiss J was ready for testing. With war clouds looming, the timing could not have been better—war meant military contracts.

A visual overview of the Curtiss J reveals the influence of Thomas’ hand, including tandem seating and ailerons attached to the top wing trailing edge. The landing skid, designed to prevent nose-overs, is found on Avro and Sopwith aircraft. Soon after Thomas arrived at Ham­­monds­port, he worked with Curtiss to develop the Model N. As on the J, its interplane and cabane struts were raked slightly forward—a common feature of Sopwith aircraft­—though Curtiss evidently insisted that is also include his outmoded interplane ailerons.

Thomas claimed the N was a reworked iteration of the J, with the same fuselage. Only one was delivered to the Signal Corps in December 1914 out of an order of eight, and it too performed marginally. It had a 100-hp OXX engine, with the wings set at 0 degrees incidence to attain the required speed. In one of the more important design modifications, two of the vertical struts that formed the box girder fuselage were extended to become the cabane struts that secured the upper wing to the fuselage.

The JN series (1-4) was a hybridization of the J and the N, combining the best aspects of each and eventually earning the airplane its iconic Jenny nickname. Apparently this marriage of the two models soured Thomas’ working relationship with Curtiss, finally compelling him to resign. He evidently felt that Curtiss was taking too much credit for the JN, which Thomas considered largely his design. Curtiss’ method of communicating ideas by scrawling drawings on the walls was also too much for him, and the American’s temper didn’t help matters.

By this time, however, Curtiss’ gamble had already paid off. Officials from foreign governments descended on Ham­monds­port seeking military contracts, and the town was transformed almost overnight into a paramilitary community, with augmented security around the Curtiss factory. The response from Britain was so great that Curtiss opened a second factory in Buffalo, N.Y., to handle the demand. Le journal de Wall Street reported that in the fiscal year ending October 31, 1915, the Curtiss Aeroplane Company produced more than $6 million in aircraft and engines, mainly for Britain. In December of the same year, Curtiss landed a $15 million contract from the Brit­ish government.

Only a handful of JN-1s were built, and Curtiss moved swiftly to the JN-2, which featured two wings of equal span and the old shoulder-yoke method of aileron control (for both wings) found on his early pushers. The JN-2 was somewhat unstable due to an inadequate power-to-weight ratio and an overly sensitive rudder. That problem was remedied in the JN-3, whose shorter-span bottom wing and ailerons on the upper wing only were most likely inspired by the French. The yoke was replaced with a wheel, and the rudder was actu­ated by a foot-operated bar.


A JN-3 readies for takeoff near Casas Grandes, Mexico, during the punitive expedition against Pancho Villa. (Glenn H. Curtiss Museum)

Eight JN-3s equipped the 1st Aero Squadron when Captain Foulois led it into Mexico in March 1916 as part of Brig. Gen. John J. Pershing’s punitive expedition against Pancho Villa. In contrast to the agile fighters then in combat over Europe, the JN-3’s role was primarily observation and communication. However, the squadron did conduct some experiments in bombardment and the use of machine guns. The JN-3s were still underpowered and unable to climb over Mexico’s Sierra Madres. Due to various mishaps and frustrations over aircraft, logistics and other problems, Foulois left the 1st Aero in September 1916.

By December, Curtiss had introduced the JN-4 and a Canadian-built version known as the “Canuck” to fill orders from the U.S. Army and the Royal Flying Corps in Canada, respectively. The Canuck differed from the American version in that it had four ailerons, differently shaped wings and empennage, and was also lighter. With its dual cockpits and controls and 90-hp Curtiss OX-5 V8 engine, the JN-4 was ideally suited for pilot training.

Introduced in June 1917, the JN-4D incorporated some important improvements. The control wheel was eliminated in favor of the now-standard control stick it had ailerons on the upper wing only, giving it a more docile roll rate and curved cutouts on the inner trailing edges of all four wing panels provided easier cockpit entry and egress as well as improved visibility. For these reasons, the JN-4D was the most widely accepted of the early variants. The U.S. finally had a trainer good enough to be mass-produced, and with the war now on and demand exceeding supply, production shifted into high gear. The need for a reliable biplane trainer was so great that the U.S. Army Air Service leveraged Curtiss to license JN-4D production to six other American companies.

The USAS desired a trainer to bridge the gap between the JN-4D and pursuit/fighter aircraft, which was the genesis of the JN-4H. It featured a 150-hp Hispano-Suiza engine (built in the U.S. under license by Wright Aeronautical), a more robust airframe, an enlarged nose radiator, ailerons on both wings and an upper-wing fuel tank that increased fuel capacity from 21 to 31 gallons. The JN-4H’s top speed was about 80 mph, with a 175-mile range and ceiling around 11,000 feet.

After the war, the U.S. suddenly had hundreds of surplus Jennies it didn’t need. Often employed as mailplanes in the early days of U.S. airmail service beginning in 1918, the Jenny carried slightly less than 300 pounds of mail in a redesigned front seat compartment (see “The Suicide Club,” May 2017).


The JN-4H mounted a 150-hp Hispano-Suiza engine that improved performance. (Glenn H. Curtiss Museum)

Although Charles Lindbergh bought and soloed in a JN-4D in 1923, he trained in the JN-4H when he joined the USAS in 1924. Lindbergh had this to say about it: “…[I]t is doubtful whether a better training ship will ever be built….Jennies were underpowered…somewhat tricky…splintered badly when they crashed…but when a cadet learned to fly one…he was just about capable of flying anything on wings with a reasonable degree of safety.”

The period from 1920 to 1926 was known as the “Jenny Era,” when countless military pilots and others who first learned to fly in a Jenny purchased converted Army-surplus JN-4s and embarked on careers as barnstormers. The Jenny, along with the Standard J-1, was a reasonable stunt plane, and provided a great platform for wing-walking due to its slow speed and numerous struts and wires to hang on to. Many people nationwide got their first taste of flying in a Jenny, thus familiarizing them with aviation and promoting it as a viable form of transportation. The Jenny’s slow, easy motion made it the perfect airplane to ease an apprehensive public into the air.

The end of the Jenny Era came in 1927, when new regulations for airworthiness, maintenance and pilot licensing requirements were implemented—regulations that the Jenny could not meet. By 1930 it was illegal to fly a Jenny in most of the U.S. The vintage airplane movement of the 1950s revived interest in the type, and today Jennies operate under experimental aircraft license status.

Glenn Curtiss’ calculated gam­ble to co-opt a gifted Brit­ish designer to help him launch his tractor biplanes into the global market had paid off. The JN-4 was one of the most successful aircraft of its day, and launched the careers of many aviation luminaries. Subject to Curtiss’ constant tinkering, the JN-4 series spawned variants from A to S. It formed the cornerstone of the U.S. military aviation training program, as well as various flight training schools abroad. After the war, it spurred the first U.S. airmail service and ushered in the barnstorming age. The bitter dividend created by its genesis was the dissolution of the partnership that had made the Jenny possible.

Mark C. Wilkins is a historian, writer and museum professional who is currently working on three books about World War I. Recommended reading: Curtiss: The Hammondsport Era, 1907-1915, by Louis S. Casey Jenny Was No Lady: The Story of the JN-4D, by Jack R. Lincke and Curtiss Aircraft, 1907-1947, by Peter Bowers.

Genesis of the Jenny appeared in the July 2017 issue of Aviation History Magazine. Abonnez-vous aujourd'hui !


The Records

Before cars and superbikes held the land speed record, trains were the fastest modes of transportation. In 1907 that all changed, the Curtiss V8 together with the fastest man on Earth claimed the land speed record.

The record was set on January 24 at Daytona Beach, Florida. The Curtiss V8 reached a top speed of 136,3 mph. The Curtiss V8 was faster than anything the world had ever seen back then and received a lot of praise. The record was never accepted officially because of a technicality but it was widely acknowledged in the automotive industry as being legitimate.

The Blitzen Benz took over the record in 1911 but it wasn't until 1930 that a motorcycle was able to beat the record set by the Curtiss V8.


Voir la vidéo: Curtiss XP-55 Ascender CAS-AC-238-2